I did something REALLLY dumb last night with my 986 S

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

I did something REALLLY dumb last night with my 986 S

Postby Frimeur on Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:41 am

I posted this on PPBB, and thought I'd share the pain with my local PCA brothers and sisters, too.

OK, so I'm parked on a steep hill, nose first, kinda perpendicular at an angle to the curb. My wife and I have a nice dinner at our favorite local Thai place. We come back out and get in the car. I release the parking brake, throw it in reverse, look behind me, let my foot off the brake, and quickly apply the gas and let out the clutch, confident that I will have no problem reversing up the hill and out of the parking spot. Any guesses on what happened next, anyone? Well, turns out I only THOUGHT I was in reverse. I was actually still in first.

Granted, I've done this a couple of times, but always with no consequences because I'm not usually applying the gas much and when I realize it I have time to stop before I hit something. Well, not this time. Gravity and a steep hill were enough to amplify the mistake into an expensive repair job, because I managed to plow the front end into a very high curb. I crushed the right front bumper and also the radiator that sits just behind it, flooding the gutter with coolant. All of this to the great amusement of everyone sitting at the outdoor terrace of the pub I was parked in front of.

To add insult to injury, the tow truck that Porsche Roadside Assistance sent did not have any wheel straps, I found out after the fact, and they secured my car to the flat bed by hooking chains to the suspension! No word yet on whether that caused any additional damage.

Anyway, my baby is now sitting in the repair center at Pioneer in San Diego, awaiting a verdict on the damage. I talked to a really nice Service Rep. there named Daniel, who seemed very cool and understanding. I just hope the final bill will not be too much, because I'd rather not have to explain this one to my insurance company...

Anyway care to make a guess what it's going to cost in the end? Replace front bumper, radiator, clips, and who knows what else? I didn't hit the wheels when i went into the curb, by the way. Just the bumper.

If anyone has any other dumb Porsche (driver) stories to console me with, I'm all eyes and ears!
Darren Bradley
----------------
'01 986 S
Frimeur

Postby Jad on Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:08 am

That sucks. I think I would tell the insurance as I am guessing $3K for the repair.

If it helps, many years ago I was driving at night through a partially developed housing development, the kind with 5 lane wide streets and no lanes as they are barely used. Cruising along at about 30 mph around a long wide corner when BAM! :shock: And the car pretty much stopped. They had installed an island in the middle of the road, but no reflectors or trees are anything. My old silver 944 was just tall enough for the spoiler to clear, but not the I-bar or oil pan, both or which were pretty much removed from the car. Hoehn quoted $9K to fix :roll: The car was worth ~$3K. Once I got under it and really checked things out, a new oil pan, steering rack, I-beam and some bushing bought on the internet for a total of $350, a weekends work and the car was a good as new. I did feel pretty dumb hitting an island in the middle of nowhere. :oops:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Several other people have also guessed aroudn $3K

Postby Frimeur on Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:12 am

:)

Thanks, Jad. Enjoyed the story.
Darren Bradley
----------------
'01 986 S
Frimeur

Postby MikeD on Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:03 am

My left front radiator needs to be replaced and Daniel or Shawn at Pioneer quoted me $600. I think your bumper cover is going to run around $500. When my bumper needed to be replaced it was covered by the insurance company so I just forked out the extra cash to get a GT3 bumper instead so I'm not 100% sure. The coolant all over the ground makes it look much worse than it usually is.

My story? I like going up and down Torrey Pines road between UCSD and La Jolla Shores. Fun sweepers with just enough uneven surface to make it exhilarating. I've been driving that road for years in everything from my Boxster to a 16 passenger van to a limo. So I must know that road pretty well, right?

One night I'm going down with some friends close behind in a 330ci so I decide to show off a little. The last time I was down there I figure I had more speed in the first corner so this time I'm planning to take it a little faster. Well, dirty road, cold tires, cold driver, etc conspired against me and I did a pretty nice little tank slapper through the corner. I managed to keep it away from the wall (just barely), but not the curb. Demolished the bumper, ripped out the right front radiator, broke both right side wheels, and tweaked the heck out of my right front suspension mount. Just under $10K worth of damage. Doh! :oops:

Then, after all the work was done and I had my car back the ABS light was on. The mechanic said it was no big deal just needed to be reset by the dealer the next time the car was in for service. OK, I'm thinking "no sweat". Tip: when the ABS light is on the ABS does NOT work!. Something I would have liked to know prior to some idot in a Ford Range stopping at a green light on La Jolla Village drive :shock: . Brakes locked up, I panicked and didn't pulse the brakes myself and slid into yet another curb! Damaging the left front wheel and the left front radiator this time. :x

I came in second in the MSS championship last year, manage to do pretty well at TT's, and recently received my Club Racing license. You'd think I would know how to drive by now :o . So, no you are not the only one who bumbles in an expensive nice car like we have.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Return to General Discussions