NorCal Hwy 49

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

NorCal Hwy 49

Postby bryanearll on Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:44 pm

Wonderful vacation week, driving, fishing, and loving life... Took the 996 on a long cruise up the Eastern Sierra to a point north of Tahoe called Sierra City, for some good times with the boys. Terrific trip, nice sightseeing and fishing, and a fine time with friends.

The best driving experience in some time.... Hwy 49. Left this morning about 8:30am from Sierra City and drove to Auburn, CA. Hwy 49 has got to be the best set of continuous twisting road in California. Over an hour, maybe an 1.5 hours, of continually twisting roads in the 45-75mph range on quality pavement. Not to mention stunning river and vista views. Special fun was the short passing lanes intersperced along the way! Downshift for fun and pleasure and a very vocal celebration of the exhaust tuning!

Have fun at the AX tomorrow! I have had plenty of seat time this week!

BTW - If you are an avid fly fisherman check out the Lodge and Cabins at Packer Lake and Sardine Lake. Outstanding!
Bryan
Bryan Earll
'01 996 C2 #339
bryanearll
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:31 am

That is beautiful country, Bryan. I was just up there too over Labor Day, visiting my family, and drove Hwy 49 near Nevada City, but I was in my F-250 pickup, so it wasn't quite so exhilerating. :cry:

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Return to General Discussions