991.2 GT3 LWB Seats and submarine strap cutouts

Porsche Technical related discussions.

991.2 GT3 LWB Seats and submarine strap cutouts

Postby gmgraber on Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:18 pm

I currently have Schroth 4-pt ASM harnesses for both driver and passenger seats in my 991.2 GT3 equipped with the factory carbon fiber LWB seats. I use this for TT (with less than 200 performance points). I would like to upgrade to 6 pt by adding the submarine strap. The PCA Zone 8 Rule Book requires that both driver and passenger have equal protection. The driver's seat has a factory cutout in the carbon fiber seat for the sub-marine strap, but the passenger seat does not. Per PCA Rules, "Modification of stock seats is not allowed". So, the dilemma: I cannot add the sub-strap to my driver's seat for a 6 pt harness because I cannot cut the passenger seat to upgrade the 4 pt ASM to 6 pt to provide "equal protection", even though a 4 pt with ASM is approved. I cannot replace the passenger seat with another seat with a factory cutout because "These vehicles must be fitted with the original factory seats".

There must be a means to allow me to have a 6 pt for the driver and a 4 pt ASM for passenger, without spending a ridiculous sum (several thousand) to replace the passenger seat, or to cut the seat, both of which are not allowed anyway.

Help much appreciated, or perhaps a request for rule change?

Thank you
Grant Graber
DE Chief Driving Instructor
TT Instructor of the Year - 2023
DE/TT and AX Instructor
DE/TT Safety Co-Chair
Time Trialer
2018 991.2 GT3 - Sapphire Blue
2012 991.1 S - Platinum Silver
2021 Macan GTS - Chalk
2017 Cayenne GTS - White
gmgraber

Re: 991.2 GT3 LWB Seats and submarine strap cutouts

Postby afilsinger on Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:39 pm

I don't think anyone will give you any hassle for modifying the passenger seat. The outline for the cutout should be there, they just didn't cut it out at the factory. I know GMG has put harnesses in tons of GT3s with LWBs.
Alex Filsinger #950
2021/22 DE Co-CDI
FIA Silver
McLaren Artura GT4 - IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge #69
1998 Boxster Spec
2006 GT3 Cup
1986 944-Spec
2010 Mercedes C63 AMG
alexfilsinger.com
afilsinger

Return to Technical