Moving the ECU

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Moving the ECU

Postby Brett Souza on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:05 am

Alright it looks like I'm gonna put in custom seats to give myself more head room. The problem is the ECU is located right under the drivers seat, taking up a couple of inches. I guess I'll just mount it on the floor behind the drivers seat. My questions are;
1. How difficult of an operation is this?
2. Should I have it done professionally, or is this a DIY project (the seats seem to be)?
3. Does someone make a wiring harness that goes to the ECU longer or an extension or does it need to be fabricated?
Thanks.
'97 993 C2 Coupe
Brett Souza

Postby kary on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:49 am

Brett, I have done the custom mounting thing in many iterations. I think it is important, rather than try and explain all this to you on this forum, that you see a car that has made these modifications so you understand exactly what you are getting into.

I should be around this weekend so if you are interested please give me a call and we can set a time for you to come over and look at my car and I can explain the various versions of seating I have gone through over the years.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Re: Moving the ECU

Postby bibbetson on Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:55 pm

Brett Souza wrote:2. Should I have it done professionally, or is this a DIY project (the seats seem to be)?

Brett, I have just been through this myself and although it can be done yourself, do not under estimate the effort involved in adapting a one size fits all seat to a specific car. Even with all the "right" parts and a bunch of help from others, I spent an easy eight hours getting my Sparco seats mounted into my car. There is lots of elongating of holes, test fitting, drilling, test fitting, getting smaller head bolts, getting shorter bolts, getting longer bolts (all grade 8.8 by the way), test fitting and test fitting until it all finally works right. Did I say test fitting - yes I had the seats in and out 3 - 6 times!

Then there is the issue of mounting the factory seat belts and harnesses, not to mention the fact that you want to add moving the ECU into the equation.

I'm not saying that it's not possible, but I would certainly not enter into the project unless you are certain you are ready for the work involved.

Just my two cents because my knuckles are still healing. :roll:
billeye #491
'94 968
bibbetson
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:07 pm

Yes, Bill, you are right, each car is a bit different. I have three different sets of brackets and configurations I have gone through over the years for my 993. 968's are different as are 964's as are 944's. Installing belts is also another car specific thing if you install them to racing specs. Many folks take short cuts here to avoid the extra work involved, mostly trying to avoid drilling into the car :)
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Brett Souza on Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:21 pm

Bill, thanks for the input. That is exactly what I looking for. It may be easier AND cheaper in the long run to let someone with more experience do it.

Kary, you have a pm
'97 993 C2 Coupe
Brett Souza

Postby Brett Souza on Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:00 pm

BTW, I also posted this question on the PCA website. Here is what Joel Reiser had to say
The difficulty is relative. For someone who works on these cars, it is pretty easy.

You should be able to move the ECU far enough without messing with the wiring harness. Take the seat out, unclip the wiring harness from everything, unscrew the ECU, and see what you're into. Take a good look at everything, then sleep on it. If you wake up thinking it's easy, then go for it. Or if you know then that you don't want to deal with it, put the seat back in and take the car in.

Now one consideration we're left with, is that your LR passenger seat foot room goes from bad to worse. Hopefully you don't have family members using that seat, or if they do, hopefully their feet don't reach the floor.

You want the ECU to be mounted on metal though, for grounding. One approach is to rivet some sheet metal to what is there, to extend the platform, then screw the ECU down on the extension.

Joel Reiser - PCA WebSite - 10/19/2005

'97 993 C2 Coupe
Brett Souza

Postby kary on Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:10 pm

You will be able to see how much cable there is when you see my car. It becomes rather obvious when you see the parts and the obstacles.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Brett Souza on Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:05 am

Kary, thanks for your time and enegy yesterday. I doubt if I will be doing it myself, whatever it is I decide to do :?
'97 993 C2 Coupe
Brett Souza

Postby kary on Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:08 am

Brett Souza wrote:Kary, thanks for your time and enegy yesterday. I doubt if I will be doing it myself, whatever it is I decide to do :?

Brett, you are welcome! The choices are somewhat endless and all depend upon what you would like to accompish in the short term and in the long term. If you have any other questions or need help deciding on something let me know.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Brett Souza on Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:50 pm

Do you know, or can you even remember, if you can lower the original Porsche OEM seat to the floor pan, keeping it powered and on the sliders while moving the ECU behind it (and any/all of the other stuff down there)?

I really like the stock seats and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to be gained by changing seats without going to a full-on race bucket (which at this time I do not want).

If I am unable to lower the stock seat and keep it functioning, I will most likely upgrade to a sport type seat that will allow me comfort, while still lowering it so that I fit with a helmet on. Obviously, a harness bar is in my near future as well - got to stay behind the wheel :P
'97 993 C2 Coupe
Brett Souza

Postby kary on Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:01 pm

Brett Souza wrote:Do you know, or can you even remember, if you can lower the original Porsche OEM seat to the floor pan, keeping it powered and on the sliders while moving the ECU behind it (and any/all of the other stuff down there)?

I really like the stock seats and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to be gained by changing seats without going to a full-on race bucket (which at this time I do not want).

If I am unable to lower the stock seat and keep it functioning, I will most likely upgrade to a sport type seat that will allow me comfort, while still lowering it so that I fit with a helmet on. Obviously, a harness bar is in my near future as well - got to stay behind the wheel :P

You should discuss this with John at Black Forest, he has some good experience with these situations (street and inbetween race setups). It would require some work to take out the mounting points and create some other mounting points that are on the floor. I would not put a stock seat on the floor without supports as the 993 floor is rather thin. The stock seat and a person in it weigh a lot.

Doing what you are proposing is possible, but it will not be as low as my drivers seat for the simple fact that the stock seat with rails, power, cushions and modified mounting are higher up than a side mounted race seat. It will get you more head room though, the question is will it be enough.

It might get you to the height of my passenger seat that you sat in yesterday. That is about 3 inches higher than by driver seat. Remember, my seats were sitting very upright so if you recline them a bit you will gain some head room. Just be careful, as we discussed, that you do not get too far away from the steering wheel that your arms are stretched out.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Brett Souza on Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:32 pm

kary wrote:You should discuss this with John at Black Forest, he has some good experience with these situations (street and inbetween race setups).

Maybe I'll swing by there Monday morning as I'll be in that neighborhod looking at seats.

kary wrote:I would not put a stock seat on the floor without supports as the 993 floor is rather thin. The stock seat and a person in it weigh a lot.

What are you trying to say? :lol: :lol: :lol:

kary wrote:Doing what you are proposing is possible, but it will not be as low as my drivers seat for the simple fact that the stock seat with rails, power, cushions and modified mounting are higher up than a side mounted race seat. It will get you more head room though, the question is will it be enough.

It will have to be enough. I'm just not ready to tear my car apart yet. :?

kary wrote:It might get you to the height of my passenger seat that you sat in yesterday. That is about 3 inches higher than by driver seat. Remember, my seats were sitting very upright so if you recline them a bit you will gain some head room. Just be careful, as we discussed, that you do not get too far away from the steering wheel that your arms are stretched out.

That is why I want/need it to be on the sliders. Hopefully, we'll get Holly the Cabriolet and then we can have at it! :twisted:
'97 993 C2 Coupe
Brett Souza

Postby RickK on Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:39 pm

Brett,
I don't know what you are thinking in terms of a Cab but I have a 90 C4 Cab for sale. Only 43k miles and excellent condition. Full information and pictures @ http://members.rennlist.com/korfin
RickK
Time Trialer

Return to Technical