Failed Smog Test

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Failed Smog Test

Postby glenn_993 on Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:16 pm

My 1996 993 has failed its smog test because I have an aftermarket catalytic converter. After 1996, certain aftermarket parts have to be approved by the California Air Resources Board. Apparently, there are no approved aftermarket catalytic converters for any Porsche for 1996 and newer. I am being told that I must put a factory catalytic converter back on m car, so that it can pass the smog test, despite the fact that the car passed all of the tail pipe emission tests. Has anyone run across this problem? Am I getting the straight story?

Glenn
glenn_993
Autocrosser

Postby Dan Chambers on Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:24 am

Glenn:

Talk to me at the A-X tomorrow. I have a few questions, and some ideas in regards to dealing with the AQCB (Air Quality Control Board), DMV, etc. :wink:

D
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Jad on Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:08 am

A long time ago, I had a 924 with an aftermarket throttle body (off road use only, yeah yeah). I took the car to a smog only place that really knew how to do a smog check. They noticed the slightly different throttle body and failed me.

I then went to the corner gas station knowing there is no way they will notice a different throttle body on a Porsche (or in your case, a different cat) and passed with no problem. Kept the same policy ever since and have never had a problem. This is a case where ignorance can be your bliss. Of course, it must pass the pipe test, but this shouldn't be a problem if the cat is working.

Good luck!
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Smog

Postby David J Marguglio on Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:36 pm

Call Black Forest and ask them to refer you to their smog station. I doubt you will experience a problem. :wink:
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Return to Technical