DE Safety Requirements

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Postby kary on Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:49 pm

Pavement issues will always be issues.

Not on race tracks.

As to the swale:

Great, glad someone finally got the picture on that one!

I didn't say we have no 2nd gear turns.

Ok, but what does 2nd gear slow turns have to do with anything? I must be missing the significant nature of this important change in design :wink:

As to braking: it's always been my expreience that the longer/harder on the brakes, the hotter the brake system. So, if you're on the brakes less time, wouldn't they run cooler, necessitating less cooling-time between braking?

Yes, but there is not enough time in that stadium to cool anything before you are on them again. That is the issue. You are confined by space and air flow. Using the brakes less helps...but it is not the answer.

We also took in to account changes in tire design and compound improvements, braking system improvements, and suspension improvements.

Woooww, then you could probably fix up the BRI so it is accurate if you can incorpoarte all those factors into a stadium track design! :roll: :wink: I had not realized how accomplished and knowledgeable you all are.

Your right Dan, we need to agree.......
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:56 pm

kary wrote:I had not realized how accomplished and knowledgeable you all are.

Happens all the time! :wink:

D-
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Gary Burch on Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:27 pm

WOW, what a thread.

The main pirpose of a DE at the stadium is to familiarize drivers to the Time Trial format. It has evolved, since Dan and I re-established it in 2003-04(?), into a lowcost, sleep at home, fun time with the other drivers. The biggest casualty is tires. And that is due to the pavement, over which we have no control. The tracks have been called NASCAR tracks, but the space is limited and with no swale crossing, we haven't crossed the swale in 2 years, the room for run-off is at a premium. What we try to provide is a safe, challenging event for both the veteran driver and the novice. Which is not an easy task considering the deficiencies of the west lot.

I would say, if you have problems with the lot or with the tracks you should not attend. These events should be accepted for what they are, a training exercise, a tuning opportuinity, chance to drive with friends at a close to home venue. That is all they are. It is NOT a big track event.

So put on some old tires and come out and have a good time.
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby Greg Phillips on Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:30 am

Gary Burch wrote:

So put on some old tires and come out and have a good time.

I have to agree with Gary, the biggest problem at the Q is the rough pavement that will eat its way through soft rubber in no time. :shock:
But there are no times. So it is a great place to use up old tires with tread but decreased grip you don't want to use at a timed event. 8)

Greg
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Postby kary on Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:49 pm

Gary Burch wrote:I would say, if you have problems with the lot or with the tracks you should not attend.

Ok, I will do that.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Gary Burch on Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:00 pm

Ok, I will do that

Good
Gary Burch
Club Racer