Oil in the intake, 944 Turbo

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Oil in the intake, 944 Turbo

Postby MVZ944T on Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:47 pm

Okay guys, here is one for you. I have had copious amounts of oil in my intake since replacing the head gasket last month.

Rings are new and compression is 135-140.

Valves and head are new.

Turbo is good. No oil in the exhaust.

All the vacuum lines were hooked up correctly.

I just again removed the head and everything looks good.

Anyone have any ideas.
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:06 pm

Mike:

Are you talking intake manifold? Air cleaner? Are you running a K&N air filter; and if yes, have you cleaned and re-oiled it lately? (I found a lot of oil in my air-cleaner box after cleaning and re-oiling my K&N. I hadn't "dabbed" enough excess oil off of the filter after servicing it.) How's the connection from the crankcase to the intake (PCV breather tube)? Is it showing signs of excessive oil? Any possibility of too much oil in the case - oil pushing up into the intake from the crankcase?

Some thoughts........

Good luck, let us know what you discover.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby kary on Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:08 pm

Mike, the only time I had engine oil, not air filter oil, in my intake was when a shop over filled by engine with engine oil. A real mess. Maybe they over filled it?
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:13 pm

Mike,
You most likely have a turbo issue. Just because it doesn't smoke out the exhaust doesn't mean the turbo is OK.
Is the oil after the compressor and not before it?

You need to feed oil to the turbo and check for oil build-up in the compressor housing.

This is much easier to do with the engine running but I am sure you will find a way.

Another option is the oil separator (very remote) but now is the time to check it with the head off!

Good luck
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby MVZ944T on Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:01 am

Steve,

I pulled the turbo and it looked good, although I am having it checked out anyway. I also pulled the oil separator and it is okay. Typically, what I find in both my turbo's, and from others that I have spoken with on the issue, there is always some oil in the intake system.

When we replaced the head gasket a few weeks ago and started the engine, once we gave it throttle it it started smoking under rev's. Did it for about 1/2 hour and then quit. We thought maybe we dropped a bit of oil down the crossover pipe when the head came off. I took the whole intake system off including the intercooler and cleaned it up. It did not smoke at thunderhill, but I di wind up blowing the connector off the hard pipe to the throttle body. That may have sucked a lot of oil into the system.

I am going to install an oil breather system made by Lindsey and hopefully that will help at least the minor oil. This was not minor however as it even flooded the boost module with oil.

Thanks for the reply (s)

Mike
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Return to Technical