Headlight Q

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Headlight Q

Postby RickJames on Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:19 pm

I was watching chanel 607 (speed channel) today and saw a GT3 Cup car with Bad azz custom headlights. My question is how do they do that and can I do it to my car? example - http://www.edo-competition.de/
"Imitation is the sincerest form of plagerism"

-Jim Carey
RickJames

Postby RickJames on Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:36 pm

Oh and I drive an '01 Boxster w/ "996t" headlights.

-Jim Carey
RickJames

Postby David J Marguglio on Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:02 pm

These are likely the motorsports version that come on the GT3 RSR (I have never seen them on a cup car). They are essentially a carbon fiber insert that houses the enormously expensive lights covered by a flat piece of plastic lens (usually yellow for ALMS applications). Blake Rosser toasted a front corner a few years ago and I think the replacement cost on the one light was like $3k; dont quote me on that, but I know they are cubic dollars. If you are intersted, call Phoebe at PMS in Santa Ana.
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby RickJames on Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:10 pm

David J Marguglio wrote:These are likely the motorsports version that come on the GT3 RSR (I have never seen them on a cup car). They are essentially a carbon fiber insert that houses the enormously expensive lights covered by a flat piece of plastic lens (usually yellow for ALMS applications). Blake Rosser toasted a front corner a few years ago and I think the replacement cost on the one light was like $3k; dont quote me on that, but I know they are cubic dollars. If you are intersted, call Phoebe at PMS in Santa Ana.

Expensive repair on a Porsche that's unheard of ;-). Thanks for the info. I'm not too familar with the SoCal shops so I'll probably order through a local dealer.

-Jim Carey
RickJames

Postby MVZ944T on Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:51 am

Heck with the lights, I want the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby David J Marguglio on Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:20 am

I'm not too familar with the SoCal shops so I'll probably order through a local dealer.

Sorry, I should have been more clear - PMS is Porsche Motorsports. These are motorsports parts and are not available from your local dealer.
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Postby MikeD on Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:53 am

David J Marguglio wrote:Sorry, I should have been more clear - PMS is Porsche Motorsports. These are motorsports parts and are not available from your local dealer.

Ummmm... Porsche Motorsport is usually abbreviated PMNA (Porsche Motorsport North America). I'm surprised at you, you should have know that. PMS is something completely different and as far as I know not related to cars at all :roll:
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Return to Technical