CCW Wheels

Porsche Technical related discussions.

CCW Wheels

Postby markvaden on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:16 am

Hi,

I need some wheels for autox and de use for my cayman. I am considering CCW Classic wheels in 18x9 & 18x10. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about CCW? I am also considering Fikse, and Kinesis, but they are around twice the price! According to CCW there wheels weigh 20lbs for an 18x10 which is in the same ballpark as the fikses.

Also does anyone have any experience with Volk wheels? They make a porsche fitment, and I think the offset would be close.

Thanks in Advance,
Mark
markvaden

Postby ttweed on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:17 pm

I have always heard good things about CCW wheels. Chris Benbow used them on his Boxster and liked them, I think.

Don't know anything about Volk.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Pete Millikin on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:28 pm

CCW wheels are very common for Porsches, especially when considering economical track wheels. I have no personal experience but I'm pretty sure people are pleased with the quality, service and fit. I don't recall anything negative.

Do a search on Pelican or Rennlist and you'll get lots of first hand data.
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Volks here!

Postby bruinbro on Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:06 pm

8.5 x 18 et50, weighs 17lb per wheel, 10.5 x 18 et40 weighs 19lb per wheel.

Bro
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly.
Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life.
Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
-M. Delaney (Steve McQueen, "Le Mans")
bruinbro

Postby MVZ944T on Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:37 am

In my opinion you can't beat them for the price. A lot of the pro cars are using them. I have used them for 3 years with no problems. TT and club races. They are not quite as light as some of the more expensive wheels, but other than that I think they are great.
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby Mike on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:37 pm

I've had good service from CCW.
I've bought 3 sets over 3 years.
Service has been great, same guy always answers the phone.
If they have the parts in stock they can build the wheels and ship within a day.
They have always had my parts in stock.
Last set 17x10.5 and 17x13 track rims cost about $2K.
Michael_Gagen :D

"Without the ability to manipulate each wheel independently, Its a fun challenge to try and be your own,
ABS, traction control and stability control"
Erik K.
Mike
Club Racer

Postby jgunn on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:43 pm

CCW Wheels have always worked well for me.

Volk are fine too. A bit hard to get hold of usually, and that is a problem you won't have with CCW.

Plus, 3 piece wheels are great for repairs & changes...
jgunn
Autocrosser

Postby MikeD on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:06 am

I have the same size CCW's as you want. They are cheap. And the service is decent. However, the inners are pretty weak and bend easily.

I like my Kinesis wheels better, and will end up exchanging my CCW's for Kinesis at some point. They are a bit expensive, but they are strong. After side swiping the wall in Pheonix a couple years ago, they survived with minor abrasions and dings. Had I had the CCW's on at the time I would likely have had to replace them completely.

My $0.02.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Jad on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:42 am

Mike,

How is the finish on your Kinesis and how do the weights compare with the CCW? I found my Kinesis corrode terribly (its not a concour car, but they looked bad within 6 months) and they only weigh ~2-3 lbs less than my powder coated 993 cup wheels, so they were not as light as I had hoped. They are not bad, and they seem strong, but I am not especially thrilled with mine, though I don't have much to compare them to.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby MikeD on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:54 am

I have not noticed any corrosion. I opted for the anodized finish over either painting or powder coating. But they were the first "mod" I did to my car way back when, and so didn't know any better. The next set will be powder coated (cheaper and probably easier to clean).

Have you mentioned the corrosion to Kinesis? After Phoenix they took my wheels in and made sure there were no issues. I think they charged me a few bucks for the whatever they had to fix/replace, but it was negligable.
Mike Dougherty
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Jad on Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:15 am

No, I should probably take them in, but it is the anodized?-chrome like outer rim-that is the problem. I have noticed it on most of the other Kinesis wheels I have seen as well. I am pretty sure it is purely cosmetic, but they are the only wheel I have had any issue with, but all the others have been factory Porsche.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby MikeD on Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:23 am

Yeah, if it's what I'm thinking it is, they are actually polished aluminum. Anodizing isn't cheap, and even if you ask for anodizing you have to explicitly ask them to anodize the outter ring. Otherwise they just anodize the centers. Getting the centers and outter ring anodized for my wheels cost me and extra $1200. For track wheels it was a complete waste of money.

Anyway, now that you mention the location, I believe I have the same issue with my CCW's. Will have to verify that when I get home tonight.
Mike Dougherty
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Bob Gagnon on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:45 am

Volk wheels are made in Japan by Ray's Engineering.

I have Ray's Engineering wheels, which are made for Nissan and marketed under their "Nismo" brand name on my 350 Z .

They are first class wheels, forged, hard anodized, shot peened, and very light.

The valve stems are beautifully machined alloy bits.

Only cost me $1700 for a set of four, Porsche should have such quality at such prices!!!

If I ever go to 18" wheels for my 911 the Volk's would be my pick.
Bob Gagnon
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:21 pm

I have been using BBS magnesium wheels for years since 2000. They are light, hold up well and look great IMHO. There are more expensive than CCW but same as the other high end brands. If you want good wheels that last you should invest in good quality wheels.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Pete Millikin on Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:29 pm

I like the vintage look. With 8" & 9" fuchs prices skyrocketing, I had some custom fuchs made by Jae @ Mirage. They use a donor 6x16 wheel for the center and bolt up to a 17" barrel. You get more modern sizes w a shorter sidewall and weigh only 16.5lbs.
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Return to Technical