Boxster S tires

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Boxster S tires

Postby lrayner on Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:38 am

I have read some prior posts on tires and am considering the following for mostly pleasure driving and occasional autocross in my 2002 Boxster S with 18" wheels. Dunlop Sport Max; BFG T/A-KD or Michelin Pilot Sports, which I have now and have been happy with. I have heard the Kumho's recomended but they look like they would be noisy on the street.
Any imput would be appreciated! Thanks, Leigh
Leigh Rayner
2002 Boxster S
1995 993
lrayner
Time Trialer

Re: Boxster S tires

Postby ttweed on Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:57 pm

lrayner wrote:Any imput would be appreciated!
Are you running in SS class? Kim will be along any minute now to tell you to use the BFG T/A-KDs, but I would put Yokohama Advan Neova AD07s on it if I were in your position.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby lrayner on Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:40 pm

I am running in SS class. I have seen Kims earlier posts lauding the BFG's and I wonder how quiet they are on the road. I guess I'm hoping to have it all- a good autocross tire that is quiet on the road. My son has Yokohama AVB Sports (180 wear rating) on his Subaru WRX and they seem to have a bit of road noise. The factory Michelins on my Boxster seem fairly quiet but they ain't cheap! Do you notice much noise with the Yokohama's??
Leigh Rayner
2002 Boxster S
1995 993
lrayner
Time Trialer

Hankook

Postby Greg Phillips on Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:14 pm

You might take alook at the Hankook Ventus 212. I have been using a set on my 928 as a practice tire and it has held up well at SOW and Buttonwillow. It is not an R rated tire, but grip seems about the same as the Falkens. :roll:
It does come in 18" sizes, but 265/35 is the largest.

Greg
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Postby Kim Crosser on Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:29 pm

Actually, I switched from the BFG T/A-KDs to the Falken Azenis 615's. My last set of BFGs "melted" after only 4 AX events. :grr: On both rear tires, the tread was delaminating from the casing and there were blue heat stripes all around the sidewalls. (And yes, I did keep checking tire pressures through the events - same as with my previous 4 sets of BFGs. I think I just got a bad batch of tires, but at $975 a set, replacing them after only 2000 miles was an expensive experience. :bigcry: My previous sets all lasted at least 7000 miles.)

I have only had the Falkens for one AX. They don't seem quite as "grippy" on dry pavement as the BFGs (I came in second! :( ), but on the positive side, they are 3/4 the price, and they are quieter and seem to ride "smoother" on the highway. :)

Having driven Continentals (factory), BFG T/A-KDs (4 sets), Bridgestone S02As and S03s (2 sets), and now Falken 615s on my Boxster, my personal opinion is:
Best (dry) grip: BFG T/A-KDs, then Falkens, then Bridgestones
Quietest/smoothest on highway: Bridgestones, then Falkens/Continentals
The BFGs, while sticky, were relatively noisy and seemed to take quite a while to warm up and become flexible - they seemed to take a "set" in the cords if left parked for a couple of days and took several miles to stop having a bit of a "thumping" effect when cold.

Since I haven't run the Yokos, Dunlops, or Michelins, I can't comment on those.

I have found the ratings on TireRack.com to be pretty good - try these links:
"Extreme Performance" .http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP
"Max Performance" http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

Note that they are showing the Yokohama as the best in category in Extreme Performance, and equal to the BFG in dry traction.

(Drat - I wish I'd seen those ratings before I got the Falkens - I probably would have gotten the Yokohamas. :evil: )

You can sort the display by your desired feature. Note that it doesn't show all possible tires - choosing a different tire for the baseline can result in a different set of comparable tires.
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby lrayner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:17 pm

Thanks for the imput. I'm going to check out the tires at the next autocross and make a decision then. Hope to see you there! Cheers, Leigh
Leigh Rayner
2002 Boxster S
1995 993
lrayner
Time Trialer

Return to Technical