944 S brakes, wheels, suspension

Porsche Technical related discussions.

944 S brakes, wheels, suspension

Postby lrayner on Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:46 pm

I am gathering speed down that slippery slope as I am now the proud but bewildered owner of a 1988 944 S.A bit rough around the edges, lots of miles but the belts and clutch were recently replaced. We had a lot of fun at Mondays autocross although the ancient continental tires were reluctant participants.
Here are my questions.
1.Are 17" wheels the way to go? I assume the same tire recomedations recently made for my Boxster are the same for the 944. Any wheels for sale?

2.What rotors and pads should I get? I understand slotted not drilled is preferred- are turbo rotors preferable or do I also need to do calipers if I go that route.

3.What suspension upgrades are the most bang for the buck? I was thinking different springs and replacing bushings but what ones??. Is there a good bushing kit or spring kit?

Thanks in advance. Leigh
Leigh Rayner
2002 Boxster S
1995 993
lrayner
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:13 am

1. 17"'s are probably the way to go. 16" may be better for the car, but your tire choices are becoming very limited in the small high performance catagory. You probably want the same size all around, so get 225-235/40/17's tires and about 7-8" rims.

2. For autocross, most any brakes and pads will be fine, for DE or TT you probably want expensive pads like pagid orange to handle the heat. Cooling ducts would also be good for big tracks. The rotors are fine and turbo rotors are not a feasible upgrade. Slotted are much better than drilled. Drilled are for looks only. Even the slots are not very important in normal dry conditions.

3. If you want to stay in SS, I dont' think you can do any significant suspension work, for S, put front springs and probably new shocks. Then drive the car and see what if any problems develop.

Have fun.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Return to Technical