Hot lap install in a Boxster

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Hot lap install in a Boxster

Postby mikeP on Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:06 pm

B'day present was a Hot lap system - now I can get performance anxiety during practice as well!

Any experiences I should avoid repeating for install?

Suggestions for display non permanent install and easy removel in/around dash :?:

Are tiewraps good enough for the receiver install on the rollbar :?:
mikeP

Postby Curt Yaws on Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:18 am

Mike:
I use a velcro strap to attach the receiver to my passenger sun visor. Then I run the cable over to my mirror, wrap it around the mirror post once, and drop the cable down into the passenger footwell. My readout has velcro on the top and left sides, and sticks in the upper left corner of the passenger footwell under the dash and against the center console. It takes about 2 minutes to remove and install. When I drive, I flip the visor down about half way to get a good signal read. Good luck.
Curt
Curt Yaws

2004 GT3
Curt Yaws
Time Trialer

Postby Kim Crosser on Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:57 pm

My install was to put velcro on the bottom of the electronics box and matching velcro on the bottom of the center console well (if you have the locking center console?). Just lift out the rubber mat at the bottom of the console well and put the velcro on the plastic underneath. When you take out the hot lap stuff, put the rubber mat over the velcro and there are no signs of any installation. Note - position the velcro so that the display box has the power switch and cable attachment with room for access when mounted.

Then, I fasten the hot lap receiver on the passenger side roll bar with two zip ties (heavy duty 1/4" ties). NOTE - if you do this, get yourself some padding material for the leather facing on the roll bar. Otherwise, the zip ties will leave indents in the leather. I bought a short segment of foam insulation and cut a 4"-length of PVC pipe (about 1" inside diameter) in half. I put the foam insulation on the leather side of the roll bar, place the PVC pipe half over the foam, and then fasten the zip ties over all of it (the wedge bracket on the receiver goes on the non-padded side of the roll bar). This distributes the pressure evenly over the leather part and leaves no marks.

I run the wiring from the receiver down the back of the passenger seat to the console and the electronics. Excess wire just gets stuffed in the pocket in the back of the passenger seat. (Note - the flat wire to the electronics doesn't interfere with opening/closing the console cover.)

With this set-up, before the start of a run session, I open the console cover, turn on the electronics, and do a reset, then close the cover. Then, after each run, just pop open the console cover to see the times.

The advantage of Curt's set-up is that you can drive with the top up. My set-up requires the top down, as the roll bar is behind part of the convertible top. On the other hand, I didn't want to glue anything to the visor (like velcro strips) and worried that zip ties on the visor would leave permanent indents.

I haven't been using mine as much lately - I like to run with the top up, and the timing equipment has been more operational than it used to be. Of course, at any point you can have a complete run session with no displayed times, so having the hot lapper ensures you can see how you are doing whether or not the timing gear display is working.
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Return to Technical