Parade Helmet question

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Parade Helmet question

Postby Kim Crosser on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:40 pm

The Parade Competition Rules for Autocross, section A-5.1 states "An open automobile is an automobile that has no permanent structure above the windows and behind the windshield, such as Speedsters, Roadsters and Cabriolets." (e.g, Boxsters).

Then, A-5.1(e) Eye Protection, says "Contestants must use face shields if driving an open automobile or driving an automobile with a removed windshield in any class. (See G-7.4.(n) for requirements.)"

Then G-7.4(n) Helmets, says "(n) Helmet (Autocross Only) - Must have an acceptable approval and be in good condition. Acceptable approvals are the latest or next most recent SA or M Snell Memorial Foundation approval. The helmet shell must have no structural damage. The padding must be intact. The chinstrap must not be frayed, and the strap attachments must be operable and securely attached. Face shields, when used, must be made of polycarbonate plastic or the equivalent and must be in good condition."

If I am reading this correctly, then all of us driving "open" vehicles actually require not just a Snell 2000/2005 helmet, but the helmet must include a face shield. Is this correct??? My Pyrotect SA2005 helmet has a small tinted shade below the helmet, but I wouldn't consider that a face shield. I don't think any of our "rental" helmets have face shield either.

Inquiring minds want to know if this rule is correct and/or will be enforced at the Parade this July... :?
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Return to Technical