964 rear decklid release T-handle/cable

Porsche Technical related discussions.

964 rear decklid release T-handle/cable

Postby elbeee on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:39 pm

The main release cable to my '93 rear decklid latch looks pretty crummy at the latch attachment.
A few wire rope strand ends are barely visible poking out the exit hole of that attachment, the rope going into that hole looks 'iffy' (not uniform), and one of the strands at that entrance hole never made it in -- it's just twirling off the rope into space. :roll:

(my guess: a previous bumper replacement job tech diked off the factory-crimped cable end to 'clean up' the end... and had very little left to work with afterwards for the cable's reinstallation.)

Part replacement cost: $20.
Sounds like a "throw away" for the current handle.

Before I toss the handle, is it *easily* restorable with my own supplied 1/16" wire rope? Or is it a "till death do they part" mechanical marriage? I've got no knowledge here.

2nd -- what's the smart way of resnaking such a cable? Pull a string through with the old cable's exit, and use that string to pull throught the new one? (If so, what knot to tie between string and cable?)
Or is it simply a tube channel from door frame to rear deck latch? (A simple push through?)

ps -- I just replaced the emergency rear lid release cable (behind the driver's side brake light), so opening/closing the lid during this won't be a problem...
'93 C2 coupe
'85 3.2 coupe (last seen in AZ...)
elbeee

Postby elbeee on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:00 pm

This turned out to be a simple replacement, after all. Near as easy as replacing wiper blades. :roll:
It's a "push the stiff spaghetti thru the tube" job. The new cable appears to have a soldered end to prevent rope unraveling and facilitate a trouble-free latch attach-hole passage.

Completed it after buying the replacement cable from Pelican. (The replacement works for both 964 or 993. Costs $18. Genuine P-product.) My old T-handle was shiny black plastic; the replacement's, a matte finish. The cable's ferrule screws into the plastic T handle, so if you wanted to keep your original handle I suppose you could just swap in the new ferrule/cable into your old handle.

Oh, the old ferrule was lubed/water-proofed with some carmel/brownish waxy paste akin to ear wax (ugly but true.) The rest of the cable's length wasn't lubed at all. I used white lithium as substitute ferrule lube. :wink:
'93 C2 coupe
'85 3.2 coupe (last seen in AZ...)
elbeee

Return to Technical