Boxster Brakes

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Boxster Brakes

Postby mhknapp on Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:55 pm

Gonig to replace the front pads this weekend. Have the shop manual which shows it as a pretty straight forward job. Anything special I should be aware of :?

Thanks

Mike
mhknapp
Autocrosser

Postby Dan Chambers on Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:51 pm

Mike:

Some people remove a little brake fluid from their reservior with a turkey baster, others loosen the bleeder valve (using a catch bottle and tubing) when drawing back the caliper pistons to pull the pads. I retract the caliper piston very slowly to avoid fluid spilling out the top of the res. cap. Regardless of your method, be prepared to work with fluid equalization when drawing back the pistons. Brake fluid eats paint so don't get any on painted surfaces! That includes your wheels!

As always, wear latex or nytrile gloves to keep your hands free from too much grit/grime, wear safety glasses or goggles to avoid dust/dirt/gravel falling in your eyes, don't breath the dust, and take your time. Brakes are always a messy job...

Maybe some of the real experts can chime in: Steve G., Jae Lee, Mark K. ??? You guys out there?
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby mhknapp on Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks Dan, good points to keep in mind. Think I'll loosen the reservior cap, and use lots of towels. Have a morbid fear of bleeding brakes, they never seem to come out right :oops:
mhknapp
Autocrosser

Postby [924.org] Rasta Monsta on Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:10 pm

Fear no more. Buy one of THESE BABIES. The thing works perfectly, and is also a very easy way to change out your brake fluid, which should be done every two years, especially if you track or otherwise drive your car hard.

I know, I know, nobody does it. . .but they should!
Shaggy
  • 1980 931 - Silver, Blue & Pasha, 23/19 Sways, Bilsteins, C2 Wheels
[924.org] Rasta Monsta

Postby mhknapp on Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:45 pm

All right! Another neat tool for my garage - thanks :P
mhknapp
Autocrosser

Return to Technical