915 Shifter

Porsche Technical related discussions.

915 Shifter

Postby Don Middleton on Tue May 01, 2007 10:47 am

Considering an upgrade on my 915 transmission shifter. I'm looking for some feedback and contrast between the Wevo and Seine Systems. Basically, I'm looking for some help in avoiding the "upshift" from 2nd to 1st that took out my exhause valves last year.

With Wevo at $600 and Seine at $150, there must be something there besides price. I have the factory short shift in my SC and the Seine will apparently work with it. And, of course, I like the Seine pricing.

Let me know what we know out there...? Perhaps there is another shifter I should consider along with Wevo and Seine?
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Postby ronaldtrotter on Tue May 01, 2007 12:39 pm

Don, I had the weltmiester short shift when I bought the car and then the factory short shift and have gone back to the stock shift. The regular shift has made a world of difference. Second to third no problem so far. I had that problem at the last DE and just got lucky. That said maybe Paul or Mark can help you out. I know Paul has the Wevo. I've heard very good things about it once you get it adjusted. But I'm told it is a bear to adjust. Also Brian who works at Black Forest went through them all and settled on the Wevo. He told me the Wevo was the best and the factory regular shift was next. But, they are each entirely different beasts

That's my two cents which is what it is worth.
'82" 911 SC Targa
'86' Buick Grand National
'85' 944 Spec
2015 VW Sport Wagon TDI
ronaldtrotter
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Tue May 01, 2007 7:07 pm

I have the Seine gate-shift kit in my 915 shift housing (w/ factory short shift), and it works well to keep the shifter in the 3-4 plane by spring loading the gate. Instructions for installation are very complete and Sherwood Lee is very accessible for support should you need it. The difference in price is because the Seine system is much simpler. Wevo supplies you with the whole shift rod and pivot plus a new base plate, instead of just modifying your own stuff.

My "money shift" was missing 4-5th on the front straight at Willow, though, and hitting 3rd instead. It won't help you avoid that, unfortunately. There's no cure for inatttention. :(

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Tue May 01, 2007 9:40 pm

I have used and installed all of the above options.
The stock shifter works great when properly adjusted w/ new bushings.
The factory short shift has better feel, but both of these are missing the self centering feature that saves your valves.
The Seine is the best solution for the money with its self centering feature, but the Wevo is the best.

I was a huge skeptic of the Wevo before using and installing it. How could any shifter be worth $600?
I have spent a lot of track time with the Wevo and when properly adjusted (and that is really key) it works flawlessly.

Did I mention how cool it looks? Think of it as shifter-art...
Oh one caveat... it's noisy.

Bottom line: The Seine with your factory short shift is the best shifter for the money.

BTW- My money shift was supposed to be 5-4... but I got 2nd instead at about 100MPH... the math was not pretty. :oops:
My excuse: This was before Seine and Wevo were available and I was younger and stupid(er)
3 engines and transmissions in as many years. :roll:
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby ajackson on Wed May 02, 2007 1:34 pm

I have been using the $5 hose clamp + spring to hold my 915 in the middle for a couple of years with good success. It may not be better than the real products out there, but it's much nicer than stock and costs practically nothing.
Alan Jackson
77 911S 3.2L
ajackson
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Wed May 02, 2007 8:30 pm

I've done just a tiny bit of research on shifter for the newly-aquired Black Pearl; and the results are quite interesting. Many seasoned drivers have said that I should stick with the stock shifter with the 915 and maintain it with freash hardware. Several shops have said they don't like short-shift kits in 915's. These guys have said the stock shifter works great if all the linkage parts are fresh ... as Steve eluded to.

My personal view is (and don't get mad at me....) I think part of being a smooth driver is shifting smoothly from gear to gear whether it's up or down. If you're in that much of a hurry to shift, could you find the time-saving moves somewhere else in your driving technique and spare your trans the harsh rapid shifting? I still use the thumb and two-finger technique; it's a tiny bit slower but smooooooth (Sturm showed me that years ago). Then again, I don't always win my races. :roll:

Anyway. I need to drive a car with the short shift feature to see what the real resolve is.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby ronaldtrotter on Wed May 02, 2007 11:35 pm

Dan the only thing I can say it that everyone I have talked to has had a problematic shift with the 915. Smooth or not sometimes with the car torquing and bending it just don't go in the right place even though it feels like it did. Then the car tells you what you did wrong$$$$$$$$$$
'82" 911 SC Targa
'85' 944 Spec
2015 VW Sport Wagon TDI
ronaldtrotter
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Thu May 03, 2007 2:03 pm

:shock: :shock:
ronaldtrotter wrote:Dan the only thing I can say it that everyone I have talked to has had a problematic shift with the 915. Smooth or not sometimes with the car torquing and bending it just don't go in the right place even though it feels like it did. Then the car tells you what you did wrong$$$$$$$$$$
:cry: :cry:

Obvioulsy, I'm very new to the 915. I guess I better watch carefully what I'm doing. :roll:
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby ronaldtrotter on Thu May 03, 2007 2:15 pm

Hey, Dan I have a complete factory short shift including housing if you would like to try it. Just five bolts and it is in. Unless you have a console(sp) or is it consoul (who cares you get the idea. Then it is about eight screws and five bolts. Anyway you are welcome to try it if you like it we can talk a deal. If not you are only out time.
'82" 911 SC Targa
'85' 944 Spec
2015 VW Sport Wagon TDI
ronaldtrotter
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Thu May 03, 2007 5:51 pm

ronaldtrotter wrote:Hey, Dan I have a complete factory short shift including housing if you would like to try it. Just five bolts and it is in. Unless you have a console(sp) or is it consoul (who cares you get the idea. Then it is about eight screws and five bolts. Anyway you are welcome to try it if you like it we can talk a deal. If not you are only out time.

Oooh. Sounds very enticing. Bring it to the DE on the 12th, if you have room. I'll check it out. :wink: (Man, I love the people in this club.)
Dan Chambers
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Fri May 04, 2007 7:51 am

I think you could go to an AX or DE and find just about every variation of 915 shifter. I suggest doing so before spending any money. Most people love showing off their modifications. And no two will probably feel the same do to adjustment, year and bushing condition.

And two things I forgot to mention earlier.
-The shift coupler at the rear of the tunnel is a great source of aggravation for 915 shifters. If the bushings are bad, don't replace the coupler... rebuild it with new bushings from Performance products-#901747. Much better end result.
-Engine mounts: If the shifter is solidly mounted and the power train is floating around- it's not going shift well!
If you replace the mounts use the (M637) "CLUB SPORT" mount part 911.375.043.07. It is much better than the stock 911.375.043.00 mount and makes no extra noise. They also cost less than the stock mount... I know, go figure. And replace all 4 (2-engine, 2-transmission)

Bad mounts are usually the culprit when you mis-shift under extreme lateral g-forces... like at the track. The gear is just not were it used to be :roll:
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby Dan Chambers on Fri May 04, 2007 2:36 pm

Bad mounts are usually the culprit when you mis-shift under extreme lateral g-forces... like at the track. The gear is just not were it used to be

Good points, Steve. I'll definitely think about those pesky mounts. I had a serious problem with the old 944 when turning left at the track .... 2nd to 3rd just wouldn't go. Turned out to be a bad transaxle mount ... and the trans was swinging around like Tarzan. :roll:

I'll see about driving some other folk's cars in the parking lot outside the pits the next time I'm at the Q. I don't find the current set-up in my car unappealing, but ...... :roll:
Dan Chambers
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Gary Burch on Sat May 05, 2007 3:41 pm

Don,

I just installed the seine system on my 901 transmission( with a 915 shifter) it works great but you do have to adjust it. I finally sorted it out on my last run at the ax on Sunday. The gates were too close for the 1st to 2nd shift and I would end up in 4th. With a little bending and adjustment and faith it was fine. It is MUCH better than my stock 901 shifter.

Gary

PS. They do recommend some welding on the Seine shifter.
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby Don Middleton on Sun May 13, 2007 3:36 pm

Thanks, one and all, for the great feedback. It's just another example of what a great group of people we have in this club...
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Return to Technical