fire extinguisher mounts -HELP

Porsche Technical related discussions.

fire extinguisher mounts -HELP

Postby RETII on Sat May 05, 2007 9:35 am

Tried using the Brey-Kraus 2035 mount but holes in my seat do not align with those in supplied mount. because of location in seat unable to drill new ones . Any suggestions? I need to get hooked up by the 5-12 DE. Thanks
RETII
Time Trialer

Postby rshon on Sat May 05, 2007 10:34 am

I presume you've already unbolted the seat from the car and at least rocked it back to access the bottom. If the holes don't line up and you can't drill the seat, you could widen the holes in the mount to line up with the holes and studs in the seat.

Unless it's the "nut plate" that goes under the seat frame. In that case, you would either have to remove enough components to drill out the seat frame, or consider just using some separate nuts instead of the nut plate.

In general, because there are three separate pieces involved, that's why they say not to tighten anything until the end.
Russell
PCA Zone 8 Rules Tech Advisor
Z8 TT/DE Chair ('20-'22)
Z8 Rules Chair ('12-'18)

Porsche Boxster S
Scion FR-S
Lotus Exige S
Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road
rshon
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Sat May 05, 2007 2:38 pm

Depending on the model and year of the car, you have several other options: U-bolts to the harness bar/roll bar, other mounting devices that utilize the seat-mounting bolts, or mounting to the shift-coupler plate behind the seats.

For years I had a "u-bolt to the harness bar" system. Now I have the extinguisher mounted behind the seats on the shift-coupler plate. My car is a 1983 SC.
All I did was remove the cover plate, drill a couple of (well 4, actually) very small holes in the plate as 'starters', and using self-tapping sheet metal screws mounted the extinguisher holding bracket directly to the plate through the carpeting. Looks good, out of the way, and easier to reach should I ever have to us it (G*d forbid).

You can also use hose-clamps to the harness bar/roll-bar for a temporary mount until you figure something out. Use gaffers tape or similar on the bar before using the clamps to prevent any scratching of the bar. We use this in Monica's 912. Very fast, simple and solid. Don't use zip-ties or tape to mount on the bar as they are not allowed by Tech. Gotta be metal; gotta be solid.

Good Luck!
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Sucess

Postby RETII on Sun May 06, 2007 2:02 pm

"MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" to quote the leader of the free world. Thanks to all that offered encouragement/solutions. In the end I only had to shrink my hand and forearms to 8 yr old proportions, pretend I was Hellen Keller and learn to cuss like a Shanghi sailor. Oh yeah get out the drill, welder and plasma cutter. My opinion is not to recomend the Brey Kraus part 2035 to owners of a 997. Maybe I received a misslabled part but I doubt it. Thanks again to all including those that found my trials amusing. :oops: :oops:
RETII
Time Trialer

BK part 2035 bad from factory

Postby RETII on Mon May 07, 2007 9:00 am

Called BK and a tech named Gabe seemed to know all about the plates not fitting, offering "a number of these went out made incorrectly". He offered to send out new plate. What he didn't seem to want to hear was that they should contact dealers that have them and replace the part prior to consumer purchase. Go figure? So much for me trusting their products.
RETII
Time Trialer

Postby rshon on Mon May 07, 2007 1:03 pm

You know, some people (like me) just have the worst luck (especially when they need to finish something right away). I was reminded of this when I had to bolt together a "Radio Flyer" wagon for my kid.

Normally most manufacturer's would put an extra bolt and or nut of each type, just in case one got missed. In my case there was the exactly correct number of each bolt and nut type, but the very last bolt I needed to complete the wagon HAD NO THREADS ON IT (and by this time the kid is jumping up and down waiting to play with the wagon). Fortunately, I'm a garage pack rat, and 15 minutes of rummaging in the garage produced a carriage bolt that was "close enough". :roll:

Welcome to the unlucky club...
Russell
PCA Zone 8 Rules Tech Advisor
Z8 TT/DE Chair ('20-'22)
Z8 Rules Chair ('12-'18)

Porsche Boxster S
Scion FR-S
Lotus Exige S
Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road
rshon
Time Trialer

Return to Technical