How is an AutoX course designed?

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Postby PShipman on Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:15 am

So my question of the day is:

I know that poles have to be taken into account ... but after that ... what leads to a turn or series of turns and/or straight? How does the designer weigh the ground they must use vs. the different auto types and HP ranges?
Perry Shipman
944 S2 Cabriolet (white)
PShipman
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:25 am

IMHO, there is a real art to designing courses in parking lots. Several books and Powerpoint Presentations have been developed to cover this topic.

As someone who designed a few in my day I can tell you there are a TON of factors to consider when putting down ideas on paper.

Like any art, a "good" track design is subject to interpretation, and personal preference. On more than one occasion I've heard drivers grumbling during morning sessions about how lousy a track design is, only to hear them say how impressed and pleased they were with how technical and challenging a course was by the time the trophies and beer come out. :roll:

I always tried to consider the following when I designed tracks:
1) Safety - always first. Always.
2) Surface (read: no damage to cars, and no re-routing the course half way through the day)
3) Rhythm - linking the sections so as to make a smooth transition from one element to the next
4) Include all fundemental elements included in the PDS : increasing radius turns; decreasing radius turns; late-apex turns on to straights; challenging sections for balance and braking practice; slalom (at least one).

The final consideration for me was to what lot I was designing in. All lots have their inherent advantages and disadvantages. Design should consider those aspects to make for a challenging course that is fun, a good learning experience, all wrapped up in a little friendly competition.

I think one of the best track designers I've known is also one of the best artists I know: Enthusiast of the year 2005, former AX and DE Chair, exceptionally good competitor, and all around goof-ball, Gary Burch. Bend his ear sometime about tracks. He's a real wizard. :wink:
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby PShipman on Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:53 am

Dan,

Thanks for the very clear description. What I hear you saying is that it is a little like learning to drive fast ... you need some theory to begin trying out things and building up experience as you go!

JUST A NOTE: Rode the Tolley (find that it puts far less miles on the Cab) home yesterday. I had noticed previously that the South lot (mini-dragster area) had bad area re-paved. Yesterday the South East lot had those horrible holes paved over. Perhaps in another week the Western lot will book a bit better!!

ALSO: where is the great picture of your SC, Dan? I really love your car and I miss not seeing it???
Perry Shipman
944 S2 Cabriolet (white)
PShipman
Time Trialer

Re: How is an AutoX course designed?

Postby ttweed on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:30 am

PShipman wrote:How is an AutoX course designed?
While they may not all be the same as PCA practices, many of the elements of Solo course design have been extensively developed by SCCA and documented in a very thorough manual available from this site:
http://home.houston.rr.com/rogerthereal/

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby PShipman on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:41 am

Tom ... that is a great presentation ... my head is still spining with all the different things that have to be kept in mind at the same time.

Hoorah for anyone who has done this work!
Perry Shipman
944 S2 Cabriolet (white)
PShipman
Time Trialer

Re: How is an AutoX course designed?

Postby Dan Chambers on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:54 am

ttweed wrote:
PShipman wrote:How is an AutoX course designed?
While they may not all be the same as PCA practices, many of the elements of Solo course design have been extensively developed by SCCA and documented in a very thorough manual available from this site:
http://home.houston.rr.com/rogerthereal/

TT

Yep. Good one, Tom. Gary Burch brought that to our attention during the Tres Amigos AX Team years. Great resource. Very helpful.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Gary Burch on Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:23 pm

Thanks Dan for the compliment, You didn't do so bad yourself. Maybe it was the Boddingtons we used to have during our ax meetings?

Track design comes more thru experience than anything else, experience, and the willingness to try off-the- wall things. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, just don't repeat 'em. Flow is probably harder than anything, the proper line will settle the car and set up the next section. Be off line and you fight it and get further behind. Another is, reward and punishment. If I take the first slalom cone on this side how am I set up on the exit, do I give up this corner to set up the next one, is it worth going deep and braking hard or finding a smooth line.

David Kochanek has become a very good track designer. His flow and technical skills have improved to the point his tracks are as good as anyones.
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby PShipman on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:15 pm

... try off-the- wall things. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, just don't repeat 'em. Flow is probably harder than anything, the proper line will settle the car and set up the next section. Be off line and you fight it and get further behind. Another is, reward and punishment.

Gary ... I am really struck by three things you said ... try things and learn from your mistakes (sounds like breeding Golden Retrievers :-) ) ... Good flow is harder than is seems ... and reward and punishment.

It sounds to me like the "art" of track design in our club is intended as a learning experience ... first, for the designer ... and secondly for the participants.

Lots of food for thought here ... thanks :-)
Perry Shipman
944 S2 Cabriolet (white)
PShipman
Time Trialer

Return to Technical