"Alternate car" rules for Dec AX

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:38 pm

Jad wrote:
Ted Myrus wrote:Ted is not always right, but he is seldom wrong.

PCNA specifically restricts karts from Porsche events. It is an insurance isuue. In fact we can not even hold a meeting at a facility that has karts.

I don't believe it matters if its a shifter or partially bodied racer.

I do have a sense of humor, however, I just didn't want you guys running in the wrong direction with the ball.

Can you show me where that is in the rules? I can't find it and if it is a national requirement, we may want to add it. Also, very curious how they define the line between a kart and something like a spec racer???

No 3-point harnesses in that cart...
5-points are illegal due to no roll over protection.
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Karts & PCA

Postby Greg Phillips on Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:58 pm

This is from the PCA Insurance document from their website.

"Involved in the same discussion of risk management are the inquiries I receive from members and regional boards and officers concerning what I will refer to as “nontraditional” events. The inquiries most frequently involve hill climbs, off road events and karting. PCA’s national officers have determined, after weighing the risks, costs and benefits, that hosting such events is not in the best interest of PCA’s long-term objective as a sports car club. While it might technically be possible to obtain insurance for such events, albeit at a significant cost, and while such events may be popular with a small percentage of the club’s overall membership, past experience of other clubs has demonstrated that such events frequently result in significant losses. "
PCA INSURANCE AND RISK MANAGEMENT

A review of the coverage, procedures
and policies that protect the activities of
PCA and its chartered regions

By Ken Laborde
Insurance/Risk Management Chairman

Greg
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Postby PShipman on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:27 pm

I would not be so sure there. The Mazda (what is it a 2300) could be a lot of fun.
Actually a 2 liter guy with a new engine and wide rims and tires ... probably would do a lot of nice sliding!
Perry Shipman
944 S2 Cabriolet (white)
PShipman
Time Trialer

Postby PShipman on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:36 pm

I would like to revisit the Alternate Car rules.

Many of us don't happen to have an M3 or Formula Ford car just sitting around waiting for the December AutoX. For many of us the second/family vehicle (yes, I know some of you are working on the 7th family vehicle :-)) is a Toyota Corolla, an old beater pickup, or in our case a family mini-van.

As I read the currently level of rules interpretation most of us will be excluded from participating because our cars will be too slow (has anyone ever seen a slow Corolla driver?) or to high or xxx, etc., etc.

What appeared to many to be a fun way to experience what we have been learning is, perhaps, off limits.

Help me to better understand why we can't have a slow/poky/fun run group???

(Sorry to the AutoX chairs as I know you/we are just trying to keep this safe).

Perry
Perry Shipman
944 S2 Cabriolet (white)
PShipman
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:37 pm

From my experience I think the Corolla is fine, speed is not an issue, safety is the only issue. An F150 Lightening ran, Honda Civics do rather well, S-Class MB's and many other non-M3's have run and I think the Corolla would be fun. I tested a couple of SUV's on the mini AX at the PDS a few years ago and they were not fun. The 4-runner pushed a lot and only tipped a little, but had a beefed up suspension, my X5 took a good set and was rather scary during off camber transitions as the suspension unloaded it felt like you could roll if things went wrong.

I think most any street legal CAR would be allowed, just avoid tall trucks, SUV's, minivans that would be unsafe. Pseudo cars like karts etc are open to debate, and actually are being debated. Our insurance may not allow it, but I think a full bodied kart with harnesses and a roll bar would pass but others are trying to nitpick obscure rules to disallow them. I am not planning on bringing one. :roll:

Have fun in the Corolla and if anyone tells you no, let me know and I will argue that one as well :evil:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby harnishclan on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:05 pm

Of course if you have the right SUV, not only can you tow the track car, but drive the SUV on the AX course. Oh and not concern yourself with swales or off camber. And get a better time than 2 914's, 911S, 996, 2 944's, 2 boxsters, a JS 911, and a 912!
Brian Harnish GP #815
Current: 08 Cayman S, 87 944 S, 87 944.
Past: 81 911SC, 83 944, 86 944, 82 924T, 97 993, 84 944, 87 944, 83 944, 04 Cayenne S, 81 924T, 01 Boxster S.
harnishclan
Time Trialer

Postby PShipman on Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:15 pm

Jad ... Actually I was using the Corolla as an example from someone else I know ... In our case, my better half, Linda, was quite disappointed that she could not run her famous, multi-purpose dog-van/cone pickup vehicle. She drives this thing like she is always in an AutoX ... I am always amazed that she can be so very fast in the corners with it. Anyway, she decided that putting in a day working at her new business would be more fun than sitting on the sidelines without her van :-( ... oh well.

And you, Brian ... I don't even want to talk about that "old and dirty" hauling beasty of yours :beerchug:
Perry Shipman
944 S2 Cabriolet (white)
PShipman
Time Trialer

Weird Car trophy presentation

Postby LUCKY DAVE on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:23 pm

I think there needs to be a trophy awarded for the most unlikely "alternate car" entered. A four wheel drive Edsel with a steam engine conversion might take the trophy, or maybe a lowered blown V-12 plumbing van.....
The trophy should have a gold plated scuba diver on top with a steering wheel in his hand :twisted:

I once won a similar trophy complete with scuba diver, at a motorcycle event for "best-form-on-ground-off-bike" 8)
David Malmberg

2015-2016 AX CDI team
PCA National DE Instructor
member, Texas Mile 200 MPH club
"A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More whine!"
LUCKY DAVE
Club Racer

Postby 325racer on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:10 am

Sounds like even a Lotus 7 would not be allowed. Don't have one, but they are very fast/fun! Shame
325racer
Autocrosser

Postby ttweed on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:17 am

325racer wrote:Sounds like even a Lotus 7 would not be allowed.
Why do you think that, Matthew? I ran my Lotus 7 clone at this event in '04 and there was no problem. It was fitted with a roll bar and 5-point harnesses and easily passed tech. I also ran it in a PCA-SDR DE event at the Q by adding a fire extinguisher, wearing an SFI-rated racing suit and using arm-restraints. Nobody had a beef with it.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby PShipman on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:31 am

Tom ... what a cool picture ... pretty car ... how come you don't bring it out more often?
Perry Shipman
944 S2 Cabriolet (white)
PShipman
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:22 am

PShipman wrote:Tom ... what a cool picture ... pretty car ... how come you don't bring it out more often?

Perry-

That particular car is long gone to a guy from San Jose. Unfortunately, I suffer from an advanced case of AADD--Automotive Attention Deficit Disorder. I have already gone thru three more "next, greatest" cars since then. That one had to be sold to make way for those, along with my '67S, which is now in Holland, and my '73 911RS-look, AM-class car, which I have just put up for sale. My "reason for living", (SWSBO), has few rules, but one of them is that I am not allowed to have more than 5 cars at any one time. :(

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby PShipman on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:34 am

Unfortunately, I suffer from an advanced case of AADD--Automotive Attention Deficit Disorder.

Tom,
Unfortunately??? ... I thought AADD was a requirement to be in PCA-SDR! :rockon:

PTS
Perry Shipman
944 S2 Cabriolet (white)
PShipman
Time Trialer

Previous

Return to Technical