Lap Timer Recommendations

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Lap Timer Recommendations

Postby SDGT3 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:02 am

I planning on participating in a few TT in the upcoming year. I have an AMB Transponder from a kart, but I'd like to get an inexpensive lap timer (nothing fancy with GPS and all that) just something to look down at a see what my lap time is and is I'm off or up on my previous lap and best lap of the session. Any recommendations and the appx. cost?
Peter Busalacchi
SDGT3
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:29 am

HotLaps, they are about $200 and the transmitting beacon is set up by the club so you don't have to worry about it. You may be able to get a used one for less.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Don Middleton on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:08 pm

Jad, ever hear any chair (AX, DE or TT) consider placement of a second transmitter on the course?

It might be interesting to compare first and second sector times with other drivers looking for more information on where they might be gaining or losing time.
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

HotLaps

Postby chris914 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:55 pm

I posted to a 914 forum that I belong to and got a good used one for 100$ including shipping.
1972 2.0L Porsche 914
1973 2.0L VW Thing
1972 2.0L Porsche 914
2004 7.4L Roadtrek Versatile
http://www.cassidy-online.com
chris914

Postby SDGT3 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:02 am

I looked at the Hot Laps system and it looks fairly simple. Has anyone ever used the karting system? It measures the head temperature and revs which would not be needed for TT, but it does measure lap times and hold then in memory. I'm wondering if the beacon system used for that is the same and all I'd have to be is take it off the kart and put it in my car when doing TT.
Peter Busalacchi
SDGT3
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:09 am

Don Middleton wrote:Jad, ever hear any chair (AX, DE or TT) consider placement of a second transmitter on the course?

It might be interesting to compare first and second sector times with other drivers looking for more information on where they might be gaining or losing time.

Don,

For that you need to move up to a data aquisition system like the G2X or Aim. They give you all the info you could reasonably want. Tricking the hot lap with multiple beacons makes finding your lap time much more difficult and ever requires math :shock: Though technically that is what we do for AX, but sector 1 is the ax track, sector 2 is the pits, that is why there is a start and finish beacon. Not sure if the club has 3 beacons even if they wanted to try real sectors.

I think the G2X system is really nice for about the cost of a nice set of tires, expecially in 2 driver cars. TONS of information to make you both much faster. Let me know if you want more details.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Don Middleton on Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:07 pm

Thanks, Jad. I guess my posting wasn't clear. As I think about it, I was suggesting a 3rd or even 4th beacon for sector timing on the coarses.

Without much driver interest, it doesn't sound like it is worth the club spending a lot of money on something. But, the Hot Lop transmitters are inexpensive and might warrant the experiment, if there was adequate interest.

All this is, of course, predicated on a sizable number of Hot Lap units in use today. Perhaps the current use at any one event is a relatively low number?

The bottom line for me - Grosekemper got me by a half second Saturday. The guy is amazing. It would have been fun, and quite helpful, to know where I was losing that half second. I was "guessing" I could have been quicker on the second half, but "knowing" would have been much better.
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Postby PShipman on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:56 pm

Just wanted to note that I was able to buy a complete outfit off of http://www.rennlist.com/ads yesterday for $125.
Perry Shipman
944 S2 Cabriolet (white)
PShipman
Time Trialer

Postby kurquhart on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:18 pm

Don Middleton wrote:Thanks, Jad. I guess my posting wasn't clear. As I think about it, I was suggesting a 3rd or even 4th beacon for sector timing on the coarses.

Jad's point is that Hot Lap timers can't do sectors in addition to laps, they only do laps, period. So if you put four beacons out, four laps will be recorded on the Hot Lap. You will then need to scroll through them and manually add them up to get your actual lap time; the Hot Lap won't do that for you.
Kris Urquhart
1990 C2
2005 CS
kurquhart
Time Trialer

Postby Don Middleton on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:40 pm

Thanks, Kris, but I think I understand. My thought was that since the club already has the lap times covered, might we not consider using the Hot Laps for just sector times.
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:12 pm

Don,

You could certainly set up the hot lap on the drivers side and do your own sectors if you have the beacons or check if the club has extras you could use on the other side without messing up the hot laps of those who just want a lap time all day regardless of timing errors.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Don Middleton on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:28 pm

Hey Jad, that's a good thought.

I hear Gary B. is the resident expert on the Hot Lap beacon setup. I'll have to check with him and get his feedback on something like that...
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Postby Pete Millikin on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:36 pm

I know the hot lap is our AX & TT standard but it reminds me of an old toaster. Would anyone consider moving to ultralap? About the same money and the unit is smaller, has more memory, does split times, has download capability and a bunch of other features. My hotlap is on its last legs and would like to move to something better.

info here:

http://www.cc-2000.com/xtracing/en/products.html
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby Don Middleton on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:02 am

Hey Pete, the Ultralap is definitely a step up from the Hot Lap, addresses my issue and in a similar price range. However, with the number of Hot Lap units in use by club memebers, I would think the Ultralap would have to co-exist for a while.

I wonder if there is any conflict in the systems that would prevent them from co-existing on the same course/track effectively?
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Postby SDGT3 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:16 pm

That's a good question. I'd rather buy the Ultra Lap vs. Hot Lap counter if they are compatible. Anyone know for sure? :?:
Peter Busalacchi
SDGT3
Time Trialer

Next

Return to Technical