A little help please.

Porsche Technical related discussions.

A little help please.

Postby SDGT3 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:05 pm

I just purchased a Hot Lap system, sans beacon. I was thinking of mounting the box sensor on the Teq bar in my car. From what I understand, SDR usually puts the beacon on driver's side, correct?

Do you think that mounting the box sensor between the harnesses (directly behind driver's seat, or passenger seat if pointed that side) is wise, and secondly will it be obstructed by the B pillar. I can't mount it dead center as there is an AutoPower camera mount there.

Thank you for your assistance.
Peter Busalacchi
SDGT3
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 pm

Actually SDR seems to use the passenger side for AX and the driver side for timetrials from my recollection. I think you will have trouble getting consistent signals with the receiver mounted in the middle of the car, it is a big enough problem when it is mounted right next to the window from my experience. I just made a system so that it was fairly easy to swap based on wherever the beam was placed.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby kurquhart on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:17 pm

In my limited experience, there was only one event where I needed to move the hot lap from the passenger to driver side. I have it mounted with zip-ties, so it is quite easy to move.
Kris Urquhart
1990 C2
2005 CS
kurquhart
Time Trialer

Postby ChuckS on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:45 pm

The Hot Laps for the AX are set up on the passenger side. The big tracks used to be on the driver side, but now we are trying to set them up on both sides so people will not have to change the set-up. Problems arise when one of the transmitters breaks or the batteries die.
Chuck Sharp
1988 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa C.E.
1988 944 Turbo S
1986 944 Spec
and Several X Cars
ChuckS
Time Trialer

Postby ChuckS on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:48 pm

Regarding the mounting, do as Jad suggests. It might work in the middle when the windows are clean and the batteries in both your receiver and the transmitters are fresh, but as the batteries weaken or you fill your car with dust (don't ask how I know)it will miss laps.
Chuck Sharp
1988 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa C.E.
1988 944 Turbo S
1986 944 Spec
and Several X Cars
ChuckS
Time Trialer

Postby SDGT3 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:19 am

So the "B" pillar won't effect it picking up the beam?

Thanks for the tips. I was told to mount it with zip ties so I can move it from passenger side to driver's side. In additional, there is velcro on the bottom for an extra layer of security on the bar.

So passenger side it is. I've already signed up for SOW TT, so with any luck I can test this out at the first AX once we get a firm date from the Q.

Once more question (That I forgot to mention yesterday :roll: ) With regard to transponders (I'm using my own), I've seen guys with POC have them on the rear of the car near the license plate and secured with zip ties. Any thoughts on what PCASDR requires or prefers? I just want to make sure I'm in compliance with everything before I go out to the track and not have to gerry rig while at the track.
Peter Busalacchi
SDGT3
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:34 am

The B pillar won't affect it if you mount it next to the window, but mounted in the middle of the car it might. The transmitter is simply a TV remote and the receiver is a TV. If you think you could change the TV station as the car drives by, you are set, if things are in the way like B pillars, dirty windows, etc, it won't work.

For TT's, the transponders can go anywhere, it is common to attach it to the rear license plate. For club racing, I recall it must be within 1' of the front axle, so for a permanent installation check the exact rules for the group you might run if you plan on club racing in the future.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Return to Technical