Anti-Lock Brake Warning Light (964)

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Anti-Lock Brake Warning Light (964)

Postby rhoadesco on Sat May 17, 2008 9:22 am

I just changed the battery in my 964 and since that time the anti-lock warning light is on in my car. Since I had to remove the spare to get to the battery lock-down is it possible I bumped something to disable the anti-lock brakes or maybe there is a reset if they lose power for some length of time (like a battery being disconnected)?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-DR
Doug Rhoades
964 C2 Cab
rhoadesco

Postby kurquhart on Sat May 17, 2008 10:08 am

I turn off the battery on my 964 all the time w/o that light coming on, so that is not the problem.

If you take the black plastic cover off of the ABS hydraulic unit (between battery and gas tank), there are two relays (black cubes) that you can check for proper seating.

To the left of the spare, there is a large cable connected to the ABS control unit. This would be hard to dislodge, but worth a check.

Other causes of ABS lamp might include:
1. Failed ABS relay R34 in the fuse box
2. Failed hydraulic boost pump relay R51
3. Dislodged, dirty, or failed wheel speed sensor(s)

The last of these is fairly common; have been working around the wheels (e.g. brake bleed) lately?
Kris Urquhart
1990 C2
2005 CS
kurquhart
Time Trialer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Sat May 17, 2008 10:53 am

The relay R34 has an over-voltage protection feature that is really sensitive. Jump starting/charging can cause it to fail.
Switch it with a known good unit.
If that is not it you should take it to a shop that has a Bosch ABS tester.
The tester makes very quick work of locating the problem.
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby LUCKY DAVE on Sat May 17, 2008 2:30 pm

Steve,do you know which shops in town (north county maybe?) have such a tester? I have an abs issue also, and I already checked the obvious.
David Malmberg

2015-2016 AX CDI team
PCA National DE Instructor
member, Texas Mile 200 MPH club
"A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More whine!"
LUCKY DAVE
Club Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Sat May 17, 2008 7:15 pm

This is an interesting post.

Because at the last autocross during Jennifer's timed runs, the 964 stalled in the pit lane for no reason. The red "!" , the repeating beeping sound and the ABS light were on. The car wouldn't start, so I switched off the battery cut off switch to reset everything. After switching it back on, it started again and ran like nothing happened. Jennifer finished her timed runs without any problems.

This is the third time this happened, but I start to wonder if my ABS and or Booster is working at all. To stop the car it requires a lot of pressure (standing) on the brake pedal.
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby LUCKY DAVE on Sun May 18, 2008 8:10 am

At the last ax, I had a surprise failure of the abs function, resulting in a high speed spin (with a student in the car.....my bad :oops: ).
When I got back into the hot pit lane, I shut down and restarted the car to reboot the computer, and the problem went away, I think (I stayed away from the abs for the rest of the day). It was about this time it occured to me that the warning light doesn't work, hmmm.
Anyway, our glitches might be of similar nature. Now if we only knew the cause.....
David Malmberg

2015-2016 AX CDI team
LUCKY DAVE
Club Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Sun May 18, 2008 5:20 pm

kurquhart wrote:1. Failed ABS relay R34 in the fuse box
2. Failed hydraulic boost pump relay R51
3. Dislodged, dirty, or failed wheel speed sensor(s)

Steve Grosekemper wrote:The relay R34 has an over-voltage protection feature that is really sensitive. Jump starting/charging can cause it to fail.
Switch it with a known good unit.

A R34 relay is $80 :shock: I wonder if the trickle charger fried some the electronics. As I noticed some relays in the fuse box get hot when I keep the cut off switch on while having the trickle charger connected. :?

As for the R51 boost pump relay, I think the only 964s equipped with it are the C4's and 1992 Carrera RS and Cup cars OR mine is missing. :?

Great tip on the speed sensors cleaning, all four were covered with metal shavings and dirt. :-D
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby kurquhart on Sun May 18, 2008 6:06 pm

martinreinhardt wrote:A R34 relay is $80 :shock: I wonder if the trickle charger fried some the electronics. As I noticed some relays in the fuse box get hot when I keep the cut off switch on while having the trickle charger connected. :?

Swap with a known good one to diagnose. Mine is at Mirage; you can borrow it as long as it is back by Friday morning.

martinreinhardt wrote:As for the R51 boost pump relay, I think the only 964s equipped with it are the C4's and 1992 Carrera RS and Cup cars OR mine is missing. :?

Correct. The original post did not specify, although now I see C2 in the signature. :oops:

martinreinhardt wrote:Great tip on the speed sensors cleaning, all four were covered with metal shavings and dirt. :-D

This is quite commonly the case.
Kris Urquhart
1990 C2
2005 CS
kurquhart
Time Trialer

Postby LUCKY DAVE on Mon May 19, 2008 4:59 pm

As usual, it doesn't HAVE to be complicated.
Persistant, but ordinary, VOM sleuthing revealed a bright, shiny, well greased, perfect looking, high resistance connection. The pins needed remedial crimping/tensioning.
Problem solved.
David Malmberg

2015-2016 AX CDI team
LUCKY DAVE
Club Racer

Return to Technical