Washing a car cover

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Washing a car cover

Postby MikeD on Mon May 19, 2008 11:04 am

I have one of the nice Porsche car covers for my car. It's getting really dirty and in need of cleaning. However, I have not seen any cleaning instructions on the cover itself. Can I just throw it in the wash? Will the plastic license plate window or the soft cloth lining get messed up if I do? It's like a $250 cover so I don't want it to get ruined when I clean it. Maybe I should just play it safe and have it dry cleaned?

Thanks in advance.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon May 19, 2008 1:14 pm

Mike:

Give Coast Car Covers on Morena a call. They've done Tech Sessions in the past and are very kind to PCA members. They are sure to have the right answer.

I have washed my car covers in the past 2 diferent ways:

1) Using an large rolling drum type washing machine at the local Laundro-mat: non-detergent soap like Woolite or similar (the coatings on car covers can be damaged by detergents) and gentle cycle with cold water. Then line dry.

2) Hang on line and hand-wash with soft spong and Woolite + cold water. Line dry.

My covers don't have the little windows for license plates, so I don't know about these techniques for that clear material.

Good luck.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby MikeD on Thu May 22, 2008 2:34 pm

Thanks for the tip Dan. I'll give those guys a call and see what they say.
Mike Dougherty
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Don Middleton on Thu May 22, 2008 3:24 pm

You'll find that Coast has gone out of business. I just tried to buy a new cover from them and found the website referring me to Big Sky Covers. Their price was good, so I ordered from them. We'll see...
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Postby Autobahn on Mon May 26, 2008 8:44 am

Dan's idea works great. A few years ago I took 3-4 covers to the local laundry mat and ran them. Worked like a charm.
Sean

944-Spec #867 "The Pumpkin"
2002 1973
2011 335D
3.0cs 1972
Ford GT40 (CAV)
Isetta 600 1959 "The BMW"
1992 525i Lemons car
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"---Mario Andretti
Autobahn
Time Trialer

Postby ronaldtrotter on Mon May 26, 2008 4:51 pm

Mike depending on your cover material you can wash them. Check the website for your cover maker. But when you do wash a cover use only Simple Green according to the people at Coast (now closed) and most other cover dealers. It seems other soaps leave a film on the cover. Your local laundrymat is about the only place to have the 3/4 load washers. Also most cover companies will tell you to wash is in a front loader not the agitator. Sorry Dan, I don't mean to put down agitators. :lol: But Dan's advice is right.
'82" 911 SC Targa
'86' Buick Grand National
'85' 944 Spec
2015 VW Sport Wagon TDI
ronaldtrotter
Time Trialer

Postby MikeD on Mon May 26, 2008 5:04 pm

Ron, and others. Thanks for the advice. I have not had much luck finding care information on porsche.com. They offer it for sale in the Tequipment section, but do not seem to offer any information on the care and feeding of said car cover.

I think I may do as Dan suggests and wash it by hand with Woolite once I have the place to do so. Seems to be the safest way to accomplish my goal.
Mike Dougherty
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon May 26, 2008 7:24 pm

ronaldtrotter wrote:Mike depending on your cover material you can wash them. Check the website for your cover maker. But when you do wash a cover use only Simple Green according to the people at Coast (now closed) and most other cover dealers. It seems other soaps leave a film on the cover. Your local laundrymat is about the only place to have the 3/4 load washers. Also most cover companies will tell you to wash is in a front loader not the agitator. Sorry Dan, I don't mean to put down agitators. :lol: But Dan's advice is right.

:lol: I've been called worse.

Yes, as I mentioned, large roller-type (front loader), not "agitator". (I'll be your agitator. :lol:)
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby LUCKY DAVE on Mon May 26, 2008 9:09 pm

Another option for washing car covers (or any really large fabric item) is to look for a sail loft that offers washing services. I knew one on Shelter Island (Charlie's loft, for you old time sailors) but he retired. I heard Downwind Marine has a line on one now.
Large sails can be enormous, heavy, and incredibly expensive, like >$50,000 each for a big boat.
For a sail washing buisness, car covers (or patio covers, circus tents, whatever) are simple to deal with. It might be cheap too, as the marine buisness is as slow as a diesel Rabbit these days....
David Malmberg

2015-2016 AX CDI team
PCA National DE Instructor
member, Texas Mile 200 MPH club
"A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More whine!"
LUCKY DAVE
Club Racer

Return to Technical