racecar interior - paint & carpet reccomendations

Porsche Technical related discussions.

racecar interior - paint & carpet reccomendations

Postby Pete Millikin on Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:36 pm

I'm in the process of converting my 86 Carrera to a track car and have a couple of questions on finishing the interior. Stripping the interior paint / soundproofing is pretty slow work using conventional paint stipper so my first request is for reccomendations on doing this less painfully. My next question is what type of primer / paint to use on the interior. There are no rust issues by the way. Finally, any experience on the lightweight carpet sets, since it occurs to me this might be the easiest and nicest looking route on a car that is not an all out track beast.
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:38 pm

Pete, you might do some searches on Rennlist in the race forum because I recall seeing many discussion about this. Good luck!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:01 pm

Pete,

With my C2, I ran into the same issue as you did. Once I had everything out of the car, removing all the glue and repaint the interior simply too much work for me, so I chose to go with the RS lightweight carpet and RS door panels = much easier and nicer RS look. I found everything on ebay. Cost was approx. $600 incl. the 3 x cans of adisive spray, RS carpet, RS door panels and aluminum floor panels.
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

RS carpet follow up question

Postby Pete Millikin on Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:36 pm

Martin - I'll look for you at the upcoming DE to see your work. How far foward does the RS carpet set extend? My recollection is that the set covers the deck, rear side panels and the rear seating area. Is this correct or does it extend under or past the front seats?
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby martinreinhardt on Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:48 am

Pete,

There are different sets some incl. only the rear deck and quarter panels, but you should get the complete RS carpet set wich I installed; it includes every piece of carpet in the car (rear deck, tunnel, front and rear mats, quarter panel etc.

It will save you more weight than you think :)
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby Bob McLaughlin on Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:25 pm

Pete,
We are having a tech session in September specifically addressing the topic of building cars at home. The topic will cover mild to wild modifications, from adding a wing to a full-blown purpose built race car. There will be a carbon fiber demonstration, as well cars on hand to illustrate various stages of construction. Look for the ad in the September Witness.
Bob McLaughlin
Bob McLaughlin

Return to Technical