Toyo R888s, year two?

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Toyo R888s, year two?

Postby kleggo on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:56 am

Latest thoughts on Toyo R888s

Another fine year has passed and many of you have probably used up, (at least), 1 or 2 sets of these tires.

General consensus I’ve gleaned from conversations = pretty good grip from ~ H/C #3 until they die, (which usually occurs before they cord).

True?
False?

I’m looking for an R compound tire to be used @ SOW / WSIR / BW TT style events.
My goal is not to have minimum lap times, I just want tires with “reliable grip” and “acceptable longevity” while I concentrate on learning to drive. I currently use Yoko Advan AD07 street tires which are noticeably better than my previous KDW’s.
My car is a 3300 lb 993 C4S that is unmodded save for;
Good seats and harnesses
PSS10’s
Jae Lee alignment (-2.1 front camber, -2.0 rear camber, essentially 0 front toe).

I’ll probably run 235 – 40 X 18 fronts and 285 or 295 – 30 X 18 rears on 996 TT wheels.

I guess my questions are;

1. Did you buy the R888s just because you “had too” when the RA-1s went out of production?
2. Would you buy them again?
3. What other options would you recommend? I’d really like to try the Nitto NT01, but the rear tires sizing skips from 275s to 315’s.
4. Any guesses on how many H/C I can expect with a 3300 lb car?

Looking for input soon please since WSIR TT is coming soon.

Thanks

Craig
kleggo
Time Trialer

Re: Toyo R888s, year two?

Postby Dan Chambers on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:41 pm

kleggo wrote:Latest thoughts on Toyo R888s

Another fine year has passed and many of you have probably used up, (at least), 1 or 2 sets of these tires.

General consensus I’ve gleaned from conversations = pretty good grip from ~ H/C #3 until they die, (which usually occurs before they cord).

True?
False?

I’m looking for an R compound tire to be used @ SOW / WSIR / BW TT style events.
My goal is not to have minimum lap times, I just want tires with “reliable grip” and “acceptable longevity” while I concentrate on learning to drive. I currently use Yoko Advan AD07 street tires which are noticeably better than my previous KDW’s.
My car is a 3300 lb 993 C4S that is unmodded save for;
Good seats and harnesses
PSS10’s
Jae Lee alignment (-2.1 front camber, -2.0 rear camber, essentially 0 front toe).

I’ll probably run 235 – 40 X 18 fronts and 285 or 295 – 30 X 18 rears on 996 TT wheels.

I guess my questions are;

1. Did you buy the R888s just because you “had too” when the RA-1s went out of production?
2. Would you buy them again?
3. What other options would you recommend? I’d really like to try the Nitto NT01, but the rear tires sizing skips from 275s to 315’s.
4. Any guesses on how many H/C I can expect with a 3300 lb car?

Looking for input soon please since WSIR TT is coming soon.

Thanks

Craig

I experienced a "sudden loss" when the R888's went away at an AX. They had about 6 to 7 heat-cycles, including big track and parking-lot events. There was plenty of tread left when I tossed them in the recycle bin. :banghead:

They were available and cheaper than the RA-1's when I bought them. Their greatest grip was in the first two H/C's. After that, they seemed to gradually and consistantly fall off at each event. I've gone back to the shaved RA-1's for consistancy, and they grip right up to the cord.

If you're still in the "learning-curve" mode and want a good gripping tire that isn't going to bust your wallet, look into other brands. I used Falken's for a while (the old Azenis 512(?), 212 (?) were great. Sorry they were discontinued), then I checked out Hankook's Ventus RS-2.

I like the RS-2 and run them on the street. They are "about" as sticky as the old Azenis, and wear like a brick. I use them at DE's in the Q parking lot because of their durability and heat-tolerance. They even work in the rain. Best of all; they are a very "predictable" tire at the edge of traction. You get great feedback when pushing the limits, and there are no "surprise" oversteer/understeer elements when trying something new. Wish I could say the same about Kuhmo Ecsta's. :shock:

Although not as sticky as the RA-1, the durability, predictability, and availability make them a good all-'round tire for me. Oh, did I mention the price? Very reasonable. Check them out online, and keep asking around. That's the beauty of this club. Plenty of sources of info.

Good luck, and see you at the Q.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Re: Toyo R888s, year two?

Postby kleggo on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:03 pm

thanks Dan,
lottsa discussion where i posted the same question on Rennlist.

Unfortunately Kumho's does not make a 285 / 295 -30 X 18 tire

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/474743-toyo-r888s-year-two.html

cheers

Craig
kleggo
Time Trialer

Return to Technical