Need Help with 928 Euro and Calif BAR

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Need Help with 928 Euro and Calif BAR

Postby MPDano on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:14 pm

It looks like I may be bringing my 81 Euro to a CA Referee. Passed all Emissions except visual. He said a 1981 has an O2 Sensor. This is true of it were a US Model 928 in 1981. US Models had the O2 Sensors since 1980. 1979 was the last of the O2less and CIS Injection. European Models had the O2less with CIS until 1983. How can I prove this? I am thinking a statement on a Porsche Letterhead before going to the Referee. I was told I will need a new BAR Decal to say that my 928 needs to be tested at 1979 US Specs.

I really can't believe how lame this is as I passed all my tailpipe emissions to spec. Co, HV and Nox. Any Suggestions before I see a Referee?
http://www.Porsche928Forums.com
MPDano
Autocrosser

Re: Need Help with 928 Euro and Calif BAR

Postby MPDano on Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:44 pm

Wow, 21 views and not a peep.
MPDano
Autocrosser

Postby Greg Phillips on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:15 am

MPDano wrote:It looks like I may be bringing my 81 Euro to a CA Referee. Passed all Emissions except visual. He said a 1981 has an O2 Sensor. This is true of it were a US Model 928 in 1981. US Models had the O2 Sensors since 1980. 1979 was the last of the O2less and CIS Injection. European Models had the O2less with CIS until 1983. How can I prove this? I am thinking a statement on a Porsche Letterhead before going to the Referee. I was told I will need a new BAR Decal to say that my 928 needs to be tested at 1979 US Specs.

I really can't believe how lame this is as I passed all my tailpipe emissions to spec. Co, HV and Nox. Any Suggestions before I see a Referee?

Unfortunately most of us have little experience with Euro/gray market cars and smog inspections.

Was the car licensed in California before?
What changes did they make when the car was imported and federalized?
I don't think the smog people care that the Euro cars did not have O2 sensors, they are concerned with what was done and what system was in place when it was imported and federalized.

How did it pass smog before you bought it?

Greg Phillips
Greg Phillips
SDR Past-President @ 2014 Instructor of the Year
1982 911SC coupe, 2002 Boxster S (the track cars)
1989 928S4 & 1992 968 M030 (the black cars)
2019 Hertz Z06 Corvette & 2005 Boxster (Pat's car)
Greg Phillips
Pro Racer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:19 am

Proving what a euro car had doesn't matter.
You're not in Stuttgart anymore...
If you bring a grey market car into CA it must meet all requirements for that year car as if it were a CA car. That means all the same equipment.
Back in the day we used to put aftermarket Lamda (O2) computers on those cars to make them pass.

The reason you haven't heard any responses is because there are very few shops that will work on (or should work on) 928s anymore. And an 81 Euro is even more complex due to the lack of information and differentiation from US models.

I will send you a PM with a suggestion to get started.
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby MPDano on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:38 pm

Greg Phillips wrote:
MPDano wrote:It looks like I may be bringing my 81 Euro to a CA Referee. Passed all Emissions except visual. He said a 1981 has an O2 Sensor. This is true of it were a US Model 928 in 1981. US Models had the O2 Sensors since 1980. 1979 was the last of the O2less and CIS Injection. European Models had the O2less with CIS until 1983. How can I prove this? I am thinking a statement on a Porsche Letterhead before going to the Referee. I was told I will need a new BAR Decal to say that my 928 needs to be tested at 1979 US Specs.

Unfortunately most of us have little experience with Euro/gray market cars and smog inspections.

Was the car licensed in California before?
What changes did they make when the car was imported and federalized?
I don't think the smog people care that the Euro cars did not have O2 sensors, they are concerned with what was done and what system was in place when it was imported and federalized.

How did it pass smog before you bought it?

Greg Phillips

Yes, the car was brought in probably in 1986 in California and was federalized and registered. All smog equipment was installed (air pump, cat, etc, etc). all of which works perfectly which is why my emissions came out fine.

The last time it passed according to BAR was 1998 hence the 2000 decal year on the Blue California Plate.

also, the car was a non-operational car when I bought it and is on Non-Op Status with DMV. Engine was seized.
MPDano
Autocrosser

Postby MPDano on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:26 pm

Steve Grosekemper wrote:Proving what a euro car had doesn't matter.
You're not in Stuttgart anymore...
If you bring a grey market car into CA it must meet all requirements for that year car as if it were a CA car. That means all the same equipment.
Back in the day we used to put aftermarket Lamda (O2) computers on those cars to make them pass.

The reason you haven't heard any responses is because there are very few shops that will work on (or should work on) 928s anymore. And an 81 Euro is even more complex due to the lack of information and differentiation from US models.

I will send you a PM with a suggestion to get started.

My buddy has a 1979 US 928 and it's identical to my 1981 Euro 928. His is CIS and also has no O2 Sensor, so really not that complex. I did email that person you suggested I contact as he is away due to a surgery. As the Army saying goes, "Hurry up and Wait!"
MPDano
Autocrosser

Postby JivenJim on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:13 pm

I had a CARB inspection done on mine 924S for the 968 Engine Swap. It was over at Mira Mar College Auto building. The guy was very systematical and fair. I was not anywhere near the car when he inspected and probed. Just make sure you have all the stock intake and CA required stuff and would try for appointment first thing in morning. They seem to get more and more backed up as the day go's on. Took about 30 mins and was only about $40 bucks. Cheaper than most smog stations! They are there to help you get what you need, and will tell you what to do if you, don't pass for some issue. Then you can come back for another 10 bucks or so...
The 924S with 968 guy
944 Spec Racer
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death… – Hunter Thompson
JivenJim
Autocrosser

Return to Technical