Seeking stock tires recommendation for Boxster S 987

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Seeking stock tires recommendation for Boxster S 987

Postby amnons on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:20 pm

Hello fellow enthusiasts
After a few Ax events and my first DE I managed to wear out my front tires and I suspect the rears are going to be toast pretty soon too...

I now realize that tires may be the biggest expense of our driving events.

I am relatively new to the sport, but getting more and more interested :)
Moving forward, I am looking for a tire strategy.
I use my car for street driving as well (although not a daily driver) and for driving events I am currently running stock everything, including tires. I want to continue running like this until I can acquire good basic skills and be able to appreciate the difference.

What would make sense for me?

Buying wheels and tires for driving events? Where? What to look for? How much approximately?

Buying tires only? Availability of 4 stock size tires limit my choices (235/40/18 front and 265/40/18 back).
The OEM PS2 that I have are expensive, and I'm not sure they are worth it. Are there any alternative stock tires that you'd recommend for a mix of street, AX and DE?
Where would one get them?

I'd greatly appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
Amnon
Amnon Silberger
2008 987 Boxster S in beautiful midnight blue
amnons

Re: Seeking stock tires recommendation for Boxster S 987

Postby harnishclan on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:36 am

No single tire is going to be the solution. Whatever tire you choose will be a compromise in some aspect. Great AX/DE tire=mediocre to poor street tire. I am a big fan of following Porsches recommendations and would only put an "N" approved tire on if for the street. If you want a decent AX/street (but not great in either) Falken Azenis 605. Suggestion would be to have a set of wheels and tires for ax/de and use the stock/approved stuff for the street.

Disclaimer: As always these are my opinion and I am not a tire expert, your opinion may vary!
Brian Harnish GP #815
Current: 08 Cayman S, 87 944 S, 87 944.
Past: 81 911SC, 83 944, 86 944, 82 924T, 97 993, 84 944, 87 944, 83 944, 04 Cayenne S, 81 924T, 01 Boxster S.
harnishclan
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:06 am

There clearly is no right answer as each tire has pluses and minuses. However, there are some very good high performance tires that should work decently on the street, I am assuming you have no snow and limited rain driving in the car and are willing to accept some dartyness on expansion joints. The new Toyo RA1R is a 140 treadwear street tire that would favor mostly AX usage. Kumho also has several new tires with really good AX characteristics, but slightly better rain and street performance. Ask around here and at the next AX as the last 6 months has brought a new generation of "track" tires and few people have much experience with more than 1 of the new tires.

I personally think the N rating is just a waste of money and would not even consider it a factor. You also save about $100 a set by not paying for the certification even on identical tires, Porsche certified versus not. You didn't mention year, but in theory if a suspension piece brakes, Porsche could claim the tires caused the problem and not honor the warranty, but unless you are putting slicks on, that is pretty unlikely.

Good luck and to me, seat time is way more important than anything else, so practice and even bad tires can win so don't stress too much on the choices as there is maybe .5 seconds difference among the brands.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Kim Crosser on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:05 am

Not sure if they have them in your size, but the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07s are the best (IMHO) AX + street tire out there. The Falkens are pretty good, but they get greasy real fast as they heat up - be prepared to get your best time on your first timed run, as you will be "drifting" on the last 2 runs... The Yokos wear very well for a grippy tire, and just continue to stay sticky as they warm up. They also have a reasonable street ride and sound level.
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:47 am

I like the Hankook Ventu R-S2 212's as dual duty. They feel consistant, wear nicely, don't flat-spot during extended garaging, and are nicely priced. I street and DE drive them with great satisfaction.

..and to me, seat time is way more important than anything else, so practice and even bad tires can win so don't stress too much on the choices as there is maybe .5 seconds difference among the brands.

+1 Absolutely.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby amnons on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:32 am

Thank you all for your replies. It is good to know that there is such a community available for support.

So far, I am inclined to get new tires and more seat time :). New wheels may come later.

I was looking at the recommendations that gave me, and they make sense. No snow, mostly good weather driving and I'm willing to sacrifice some road manners.

Sizes, however, are an issue:
Front 235/40/18 are common, but, rear 265/40/18 are not.
Stock size tires are mostly PS2, Bridgestone RE050, etc.

On the other hand, 265/35/18 exist for almost every tire model.
I found a calculator that compares the two sizes, and the diameter difference is 3.95%.
I used http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

So, can I safely use lthese lower tires in the rear? What will the impact be on function (I saw a 4% limit recommendation somewhere, so this ratio is just below) and handling?

Thanks,
Amnon
Amnon Silberger
amnons

Postby mrondeau on Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:13 am

I found that in the 18" size, Bridgestone Potenza's are a good street/AX tire. They are Porsche approved, have a 140 treadwear rating (sticky) and are less expensive and wear better than the PS2's, Continentals and Pirelli's that Porsche recommends. If you do go for a second set of wheels, I recommend 17". More options in tires, less unsprung weight and less expensive to reshoe. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Postby amnons on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:17 pm

Mark,

I have ordered the Bridgesstones, thanks for the good points that you made.
I will seriously consider a 2nd set of 17'' wheels when it is time for me to buy my next set.
Hopefully more tires of the size that I need will become available from companies mentioned in this thread in the future ...

Best,
Amnon
Amnon Silberger
amnons

Postby mrondeau on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Amnon,

Keep an eye out at your local dealers. I got my 18" Cayman S wheels with new tires for $1400. They were a "take-off" from a Cayman owner who had to have 19" wheels. The tires only had about 200 miles on them. :D
Have fun!!!
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Return to Technical