Black smoke out of exhaust on 944 Turbo

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Black smoke out of exhaust on 944 Turbo

Postby marvelousgin on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:36 pm

Does anyone know why there might be black smoke out the exhaust pipe when taking off hard and at full throttle? Some people told me that the car is running rich, and someone told the sender is bad. Can I fix this myself or do I need to take it back to the shop for them to do it? I usually work on my car but never on a Porsche before. Can anyone help?
Marvin Santamaria
'87 944 Turbo
marvelousgin

Re: Black smoke out of exhaust on 944 Turbo

Postby stevemckay on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:52 pm

Martin, you probably already know this ,but there is a ggreat shop in Vista called European Motor Sports.I would call them and ask them their thoughts on your problem.Their # is 760-599-9307 they are on 2588 Progress St. in the industrial park in Vista.P.S. are you going to hot summer nights in fallbrook on friday? :beerchug:
Steve McKay, CEO SHOESTRING RACING
2010, 2011,2012, A/X CORNER CHAIR,
stevemckay
Time Trialer

Postby LUCKY DAVE on Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:42 am

I observed the car at the PDS, and it wasn't rich, it was drowning!
As I also run one of these "complicators", I can attest to the number of possible culprits that could cause this running condition, there are many. I'm betting on the fuel pressure regulator, but it could be anything, including a rag left in the intake (don't ask how I know :banghead: )
Phil at European is a great wrench and builds fine race cars, you won't go wrong there.
Depending on where you live, you might also talk to Steve Grossekemper at Dieter's downtown, or John Ricard at Black Forest in the Kearny Mesa area. Both of these shops have extensive racing experience with 944 turbos.
David Malmberg

2015-2016 AX CDI team
PCA National DE Instructor
member, Texas Mile 200 MPH club
"A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More whine!"
LUCKY DAVE
Club Racer

Postby marvelousgin on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:10 am

Hi Dave thanks for your reply. I remember meeting Phil (I think) at the School and I believe he works there but I never got his number either. Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call. Yes I'll be there today. Hope to see you and other members.

/Marv
Marvin Santamaria
'87 944 Turbo
marvelousgin

Return to Technical