Boxster Top Replacement Recommendations

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Boxster Top Replacement Recommendations

Postby twitte on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:08 pm

My son's 2000 Boxster needs a new top (plastic window is cracking - already replaced it once). Does anyone have any recommendations as to any local (San Diego area) shops that sell and install quality Boxster tops for a reasonable price? I would prefer a glass window replacement. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ted Witte
twitte
Time Trialer

Re: Boxster Top Replacement Recommendations

Postby JERRY B on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:49 pm

OBUPHOLSTERY.COM
ADVERTISER IN THE WITNESS
:beerchug:
JERRY BUMPUS
Semi Retired Autocross Chair
2004 Cayenne Turbo The Great White Beast
2006 Cayman S The Other White Car
91 944s2 aka The White Car
89 944 TAZ The Not White Car
87 944s Ka BOOOM Car sold
86 944 aka The Black Car sold
JERRY B
Time Trialer

Postby Kim Crosser on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:29 pm

+1 on OB Upholstery. They replaced my old rear Boxster plastic window (while I waited at Starbucks a few blocks away) and did a great job for around $310. :beerchug:
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby twitte on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. Do you have any information on a full top replacement? OB Upholstery quoted $1,255 for a new top with glass. The Porsche dealer gave me a price on the top with a plastic window ($2,900) and also a roof liner for the inside ($486). I'm not sure if I need to get the roof liner if I get the top from OB. Also, I saw some companies online saying they were offering tops with German A5 Acoustic canvas. I'm getting confused!
Ted Witte
twitte
Time Trialer

Postby rshon on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:08 am

Ted -
I'm sure the quote you got was broken down into the labor and the top cost. There are alot of top suppliers on eBay and The Internet, and you might be able to save some money on the top, depending upon how much the shop is quoting. I got a terrific deal on eBay on a Robbins top from an upholstery shop in Florida because they had ordered in the wrong type of German canvas (BMW-style canvas instead of Porsche-style canvas, which is "scorched") and I didn't care about the difference (the top material is going to out-last the window material anyway). You might want to check to make sure the shop is willing to install a top you supply, and maybe get the names of the manufacturers they're comfortable with (based on the chatter in Renntech, Robbins and GAHH seem to be commonly used).

After reviewing alot of the info out on the internet, I decided to try replacing it myself, and after some effort, managed to install it successfully. Below are some of links that you can look at to see what's involved and decide if you guys are up for it, and at least you will have a better understanding of what the shop will need to do:

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/replacingthetop-adiy

http://www.renntech.org/forums/lofivers ... p/f46.html

If you've already got a headliner (on base models after 2001, I think), then you can re-use it so long as it is not damaged. (The most common form of damage to the liner is stretched elastics which are supposed to pull the sides of the liner down at the base near the top pivots; these can be replaced if you like to sew...).

Good luck,
Russell
Russell
PCA Zone 8 Rules Tech Advisor
Z8 TT/DE Chair ('20-'22)
Z8 Rules Chair ('12-'18)

Porsche Boxster S
Scion FR-S
Lotus Exige S
Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road
rshon
Time Trialer

Postby twitte on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:17 am

Thanks for all the information and help!!!
Ted Witte
twitte
Time Trialer

Postby ChuckS on Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:40 am

Ted,

There is someone on Craigslist selling a new Boxster top. They have been trying to sell it for quite awhile, so you may be able to get it for a song. :D

Best of Luck with it!
Chuck Sharp
1988 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa C.E.
1988 944 Turbo S
1986 944 Spec
and Several X Cars
ChuckS
Time Trialer

Postby twitte on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:40 pm

Just got back from Ocean Beach Boat & Auto Upholstery. I took the car in this morning. They said the top was still okay so I only needed to replace the window. They did it while I waited (it took 3 hours). Looks great - very nice work. Total cost was $327.19 with PCA discount. This is a great place to do business with and I really liked how they worked me in so I wouldn't have to drive back down there.

Thanks for the recommendation! It worked out great.
Ted Witte
twitte
Time Trialer

Return to Technical