Graphics...

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Graphics...

Postby 4est on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:13 pm

Or more specifically; removing graphics. How do you remove graphics (numbers) from a car? I had to repaint the doors anyway after filling in the original mirror holes, so I used a razor blade. But, the hood has a number that I want to change to a different color. How do I get it off without damaging the paint?
4est
Time Trialer

Re: Graphics...

Postby BUCK BITTING on Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:19 pm

The best way I have found to remove decals without the paint also, is to use a heat gun or if this is not available, send your wife on a shopping spree and use her hair dryer on high to heat up the glue under the decal and pull off slowly heating each section as you pull. This of course may cost you as much as a repaint, if your wife is anything like mine, and you did not send her out for anything specific. After you have the decal removed you will need to remove whatever glue is left. The only thing I have found to do this is a diluted alchohl or petroleum based mix, just remember to mix only strong enough to remove the glue, not the paint. Hope this helps.
BUCK BITTING

Postby ChuckS on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Actually 3M adhesive remover in a can will easily get rid of the remaining adhesive and will also help remove the decal. It is hard to find in California, but readily available anywhere else. Try an automotive paint store.
Chuck Sharp
1988 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa C.E.
1988 944 Turbo S
1986 944 Spec
and Several X Cars
ChuckS
Time Trialer

Postby galis on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:48 pm

Kerosene should do the job, works on tree sap too and won't damage rubber or paint.
George Georgalis
george@galis.org
84 944
galis
Autocrosser

Postby 4est on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:25 am

I tried my heat gun; it seemed to soften the graphic itself as much as the adhesive. Then it just seemed to come apart in tiny pieces verses staying together to be pulled off in one piece. My fingernail doesn't scratch the paint so much, but will on occaision, and I don't want 10,000 tiny opportunities to put a minute scratch on the paint.
4est
Time Trialer

Postby ChuckS on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:37 am

I just found this stuff. :idea: It is a little on the expensive side, but I am ordering a small bottle to try. :D

Vinyl-Off: a BREAK THROUGH Product in the Removal of Vinyl and Adhesives

Designed to remove vinyl graphics from fleet trucks, glass, signage, etc. Just wipe it on, wait a few minutes, and peel off the vinyl and the adhesive in one step! It takes up to 90% less time. You'll save HOURS of labor! And it's environmentally safe and biodegradable.

http://www.signindustry.com/products/pr ... iquid.php3
Chuck Sharp
1988 944 Turbo S
1986 944 Spec
and Several X Cars
ChuckS
Time Trialer

Postby ChuckS on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:04 pm

Just tried the Vinyl Off. It works great! :D (Maybe not as great as they claim, but better than anything else I have ever tried) :surr: . I also got some of their adhesive remover. It also works great. It is almost as good as the 3M adhesive remover but is cheaper and bio-degradeable.  :bowdown:

I was even able to remove vinyl letters that were on top of my vinyl stripe with no problems. When I tried to remove them previously, it was impossible to get the two vinyls to separate.

I highly recommend! :burnout:
Chuck Sharp
1988 944 Turbo S
1986 944 Spec
and Several X Cars
ChuckS
Time Trialer

Return to Technical