Painted Garage Floor

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Painted Garage Floor

Postby 325racer on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:33 am

I'm just finishing up a garage floor painting project and thought I would share with anyone interested.

Background, is that I purchased my home last December, really wanted to get the floor done prior to moving in, but the weather changed and I ran out of time. So I have finally gotten to doing it.

First part of the project and planning is that you will need to empty the garage, with plans for it to be empty for almost 2 weeks. I picked this past Saturday, originally figuring that Mid October is perfectly safe to leave things outside. I guess putting stuff that normally stays inside, outside, will bring rain faster than spending the whole day washing and waxing the car. Oh well, we needed the rain and fortunately I only put stuff outside that I was OK with getting wet to some extent.

Next and probably most important part of the project is surface prep. As I had already begun surface prep back in December, it wasn't to hard this time. There are several methods, with the easiest DIY method being an Acid wash, and the best professional method being a media/sand blasting. Since I'm on a budget, I went with the DIY acid wash. Before you do this you'll want to address and holes, cracks, etc in the floor, these can be fixed with patching compound from Home Depot. This method requires some safety gear, gloves, rubber boots, goggles, and a respirator is not a bad idea. This stuff comes with some of the kits, but can also be picked up at Home Depot, in the form of Etch and Clean product. Depending on how bad the surface is, you can dilute the stuff or run it straight. I chose to run it straight as my floor originally had a very polished surface. For this you apply using a plastic garden watering can evenly over the floor. Let sit a while, then scrub it in using a tooth brush!!!!!! OK, I kid, you do scrub it in really well using a course bristle brush. Your not supposed to let it dry on the surface, so I worked fast and when it started drying I started rinsing it off. Once your done, you have to rinse it of very well.

The system that I used is a 3 layer from "Original Color Chips", which included a Primer, BaseCoat, Color Chips, and Urethane Clear Coat. I'll say up front that the amount of paint provided is enough to cover what they say it will, BUT, if you don't paint much, are anal, or just plain worried about doing a good job, going to the next garage size up, will give you piece of mind that you have extra paint available. You'll also want to get the painting kit they offer, which includes some brushes, 18" roller and some other stuff, get 1 roller for each layer. From Home Depot you'll want to grab a pole to mount the roller thing, a couple of the big orange buckets, 1 for each coat is best (the residue did not dry in time to comfortably reuse the bucket) a stirring attachment for a drill.

You start of with the Primer step, first you mix it together, let it stand for 30 minutes, then have at it!!!!!! I started by using the brush and "cutting in" the entire garage, I would recommend against doing it all at 1 time, just do half. I noticed a little bit of lifting when I started to roll paint over the stuff done at the beginning. I rolled out my primer coat using a big 18" paint roller tray to pour the paint in, this is actually a BAD idea as it actually wastes to much paint in the wetting process. Because of this, I started out using more paint than I thought I should, from there I ended up spreading the paint a little thinner than I should have and ended up with about 1/2 Quart of paint, that spread over the whole job would have made a full coverage. What you should do is to actually pour the paint right on the floor and spread it out from there. Crazy Yes, but it really works better as I found in my second coat. After you've finished this Primer coat, you supposedly can put the second layer down after about 4 hours, but it's probably easier to wait till the next day.

After the primer has cured, you can do the basecoat, or a second primer coat if you really messed something up. But most likely your already out of Primer, so Basecoat it is. Follow the same process as the Primer, by mixing and letting stand for 30 minutes. With this coat, if your adding the color chips, you have to do it while it's wet, so you work in smaller sections, putting paint down, pour it on the floor, spread it out, then roll it smooth/even. After doing a section you throw the chips, like your seeding a lawn or feeding chicken. Don't worry if about the ones that get outside of the painted area, you can just paint over them and they pretty much "disappear". It's recommended to use spike shoes, so you can walk on the painted area with basically no impact, but I just worked in clean sneakers, and found I didn't need to get into the wet paint area. Once your done, again, just wait for it to cure overnight and you can do the final clear coat.

While I write this I have yet to do the clear coat and Anti-Skid Abrasive, but it should be similar to the other layers. A couple differences however are, that the one I'm using does not need to sit after mixing and you don't want to reroll as much as you can with the other layers. To add additional anti skid, I'm going to do a 2-3 foot wide strip along the front of the garage to reduce pedestrian slipping during the 5 days a year it rains. If your laundry is in the garage, some anti-skid in front of those might be a good idea. Not having done it yet, I understand the process to be roll out the clear coat, then apply the antiskid, then roll over it 1 time.

After all the painting is done, documentation says 36-48 hours for heavy items to be placed, but 7 days before vehicles should be on it. I'm going to wait the 7 days before I move anything in, just to be sure it all cures well and my racks, etc don't end up leaving any marks.

Before I started the Garage project at all, there was wood paneling and no lighting. I started by painting the wood panelling and 1 drywallled, wall a very light grey, that almost looks white.
Not very big once everything is in, but it's much brighter with the white walls.
Empty Garage with Patched and Etched Floor.
Primer Layer after dried.
Color layer and color chips right after applying.
CLose up of Color and chips, just after painting.
325racer
Autocrosser

Re: Painted Garage Floor

Postby RETII on Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:02 pm

Thanks for the great how to post. It answers many of my questions about using this type of product. :rockon:
RETII
Time Trialer

Postby stevemckay on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:59 pm

My floor has been done for 7 years, and count less car repairs.Just working on a clean surface makes it worth it.NO complaints No problems! :beerchug:
Steve McKay, CEO SHOESTRING RACING
2010, 2011,2012, A/X CORNER CHAIR,
stevemckay
Time Trialer

Postby RETII on Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:05 pm

Ok Steve since you're a pro, when are you going to demonstrate your talents on my shop floor? :roflmao:
RETII
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:32 pm

Another option is the Racedeck tiles. They just snap together (and apart if needed) and can be installed in a few hours with patterns etc. I have been very happy with them, they are easy to clean and if one ever gets destroyed, the one tile can be replaced. If you move, they can move with you as well.

I think Costco sells them under a different name, but they ship from Racedeck (or mine did). I have no affiliation, just like them and they are easy and pretty affordable.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Ted Myrus on Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:02 am

I always admired those epoxy coated garage floors, but being cheap I bought a "kit" from Home Depot to do my own floor. I followed the instuctions to the letter. It looked great, however, the first time I parked on it with wet tires it peeled the paint right off :(

I have since gone to carpet. I'm now on my second wall to all carpet in ten years, and my cars love me for it!
Ted Myrus
Time Trialer

Postby mrondeau on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:37 am

The problem with most home epoxy kits is that the preperation is not done correctly. Moisture and ph testing should be done to determine if your garage floor emits excessive moisture and/or ph which will affect the floor and it's life. If the concrete is within acceptable limits (usually 3 lbs of vapor emissions per 24 hours and a ph of 7 to 9), then the floor should be sanded, skim coated with a cementitious patch and then primed. Application of the primer and subsequent coats has to be done in the time frame allowed by the manufacturer or the floor will fail. In my experience, most floors fail due to lack of testing and improper application of the primer and initial epoxy coat. The difference between a home epoxy kit and a professionally installed commercial floor is huge. Picture 3 coats of paint vs. 1/8" thick epoxy spread on with a squegee.

I'm a big fan of carpet tile in garages. I get left overs from various jobs, install it with a grid of double stick tape, and toss it out when it gets ugly. Most garage floors are not optimal for expoxy due to high ph levels, a lack of a sub slab vapor retarder and that they are not acclimated year round.

Just my .02. (I do commercial floor covering for a living).
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Return to Technical