What does section II.F. mean in the Zone 8 rulebook?

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Re: What does section II.F. mean in the Zone 8 rulebook?

Postby ttweed on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:43 am

Jad wrote:... there was a reason the 911's and 944's were separated and I think the 911's should be in G and the 944's in F, but it was decided to make a new car/ old car split instead of basing it on speed for that class break.
I agree that the old G class was dominated by 911s, but when they broke it up, they did follow the speed hierarchy--they put the 2.0-2.2 911S in H, and the 2.4 911S and 911E went to I class, so the "newer" 944 ended up in the "lower" class. What was ignored or neglected was that the F-class then and now still contains the weakest "normal" or T model early 911 variants, along with the strongest of the 356 models (the 4-cam). I am not convinced that these F cars are "overdogs" against the 944, even with the weight advantage, given the 944s balance and larger allowable tire size. I think the differences might be course and driver dependent, but that is an issue that could be debated. I set out 3 years ago to find out the answer with my FP project, but now here I am and times have changed. Ain't that just like life...a day late and a dollar short again... :surr:

At the time the G-class split occurred, I argued that the 944 should be taken down to a new D class rather than putting the 911s in G up to H and I class (where they became instant underdogs), but no one listened to me. I'm not sure that F and G classes should be swapped any more. I do know that with the growth and development of the 944 Spec classes, when a GS car is developed, it tends to go the Spec route rather than following the G progression, which has made GP and FI classes pretty much "ghosts" of their former selves these days.

BTW, didn't you take advantage of the II. F. provision at Pahrump this year? I know you didn't just "find" 37 seconds between May and October. :D

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby ttweed on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:51 am

tb911 wrote:Of course, all of this assumes the class hierarchy is accurate. That Q is faster than P is faster than O is faster than N is faster than M is faster than L is faster than K is faster than J etc. I'm not sure of that anymore. Are the 993s faster than Boxsters? In your classes it probably is true, I'm not sure about some of the later ones. Have to remember our rules were designed in the mid to late 80's. A whole lot of cars have been tacked on the end of the hierarchy since then, classes L - Q didn't exist! Life was simpler then and perhaps the rules don't make as much sense for the newer cars as they do for the older cars. (More on this later.)

You are absolutely right about that, Tom. The picture is getting more and more muddled all the time, within the range of new models. Where the heck is the club going to put this car?
http://jalopnik.com/5397675/porsche-boxster-spyder-the-lightest-porsche-you-can-buy
A 2800 lb. Boxster with 320 HP? Yikes!!! What's next? A lightweight Cayman RS with a GT3 motor? Heck, I'd buy that!

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
ttweed
Admin

Postby Kim Crosser on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:17 am

My Boxster with 320 HP??? Excuse me while I clean up the drool here... :oops:
Can you say Autocross monster? :burnout:
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby Mmagus on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:20 am

I started a Boxter Spyder droolfest thread in the General area. :mrgreen:

M
85.1 944 Sparky
'87 924S "Tuffy" #123, CC03
'81 928 "Leviathan" Gone to the great beyond.
Mmagus
Club Racer

Postby Jad on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:44 am

ttweed wrote:You are absolutely right about that, Tom. The picture is getting more and more muddled all the time, within the range of new models. Where the heck is the club going to put this car?
http://jalopnik.com/5397675/porsche-boxster-spyder-the-lightest-porsche-you-can-buy
A 2800 lb. Boxster with 320 HP? Yikes!!! What's next? A lightweight Cayman RS with a GT3 motor? Heck, I'd buy that!

TT

Your 'new' car was running at Pahrump last event (actually looked like a spec Boxster :wink: ). Light weight Boxster with a GT3 motor that blew by me on the straights with a loud rumble!

And yes, I did use the swap car rule (yep again :? ), but remember I agreed with your post and apologize for getting confused on the old 911 (they are all the same right?), the E's and S's that I use to have to compete with in my 944 have left some scars. The F cars are slower, my bad :oops: .
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Jackie C on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:33 pm

What was I thinking?! As self appointed ambassador to the PCASDR AXs, I should have welcomed you with open arms to GP. I'll remain in GP and bring it on. You are so right. I need the challenge.
Jackie Corwin
Jackie C
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Thanks Jackie! At the last autox I think I talked both Gary and Joey Elumba into moving up to FP from FS next season and running with me, so the 944s may be safe for another year from marauding rear-engined cars. Both those guys are running times within a few tenths of me while still having 12 points of possible improvements to add to their cars for the Prepared class, so I will have my hands full. Gary is really hustling that old Targa around the track these days. I think it is faster in battleship grey than red. :wink: He's been quicker than me in practice at the last two events, then just hit cones or tightened up a bit in timed runs and I've been able to edge him by a smidge in the final results. It's going to be a tight battle in FP next year, I think.

TT
Last edited by ttweed on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Tweed -- #908
ttweed
Admin

Postby ttweed on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:49 pm

Jad wrote: ...Your 'new' car was running at Pahrump last event (actually looked like a spec Boxster :wink: ). Light weight Boxster with a GT3 motor that blew by me on the straights with a loud rumble!
It must not have run timed laps on Sunday--no one was faster than you in the results except Bob. Was it one of the "country club" members, or just someone running a "test and tune" on Sat.? What kind of lap times was it doing? I still think the Cayman would make a better platform due to the stiffer coupe body shell, but there certainly aren't as many cheap cores around yet as there are old, depreciated Boxsters to buy for a project like that. Maybe in a few more years, though...

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
ttweed
Admin

Postby Jad on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:35 am

It was a club member, never saw times, but the "car" wasn't that fast in the corners :roll:

I have been informed that the GT3 Boxster was running 2:34's that weekend.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Previous

Return to Technical