Shop with Road Force Balancer?

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Shop with Road Force Balancer?

Postby AGill on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:00 pm

I use Steve at C2 for all my tire needs as his prices are good and service excellent. I have a stubborn wheel that has given me issues in the past with balancing (it's been tested and is true and straight) and, despite Steve giving it his best shot in the past, it has taken a road force balancer and a little "chasing" to get things balanced properly. Discount Tire on Convoy used to have a machine but got rid of it this last year.

Does anyone know of a good shop that has a RFB machine?

Thanks,
Adam
Adam Gill #115
Past Chief Driving Instructor
PCA National DE Instructor
'98 Boxster - "CUPCAKE" - CC3 before spinning rod, CC? coming soon
'97 993 Arena Red C"2"S - "Ruby"
'65 912 Gulf Blue - "Blue Bird" (sold)
AGill
Time Trialer

Re: Shop with Road Force Balancer?

Postby ChuckS on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Adam,
I suggest you ask Jerry Gutierez at Discount Tire on Genesee. If one exists, he will know where it is.  :bowdown:
Also, if Steve at C2 can't get it right, then maybe you need to replace it or have a wheel expert like Wheel Enhancements take a look at it. Something is not right. :banghead:
Chuck Sharp
1988 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa C.E.
1988 944 Turbo S
1986 944 Spec
and Several X Cars
ChuckS
Time Trialer

Postby AGill on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:40 pm

Thanks for the contact, Chuck. It looks like the Poway and PB stores have a RFB machine. The last time I went through this process I had the wheel inspected by US Wheel in El Cajon as they do a lot of high end wheel repair. They said it was structurally sound in their opinion and said that occasionally, when a wheel is refinished (which these were by the previous owner) and sandblasted, if the valve stem hole is not completely sealed off then some of the sand/paint debris can get inside a hollow spoke wheel and cause a balancer to throw strange numbers. I'm not sure if it's actually stuff moving around inside the wheel or if it is compacted in one spoke and "baked" solid. Either way, they suggested to road force balance it and "chase" it. It worked...took the tech about 20 minutes of trial and error but it worked. And, there was no ill effects on the road at speed. I suppose there might be a chemical I could put in the wheel that could disolve/rinse out whatever is in there but I have not tried that yet.

I don't want to replace the rim as the fancy finish the previous owner put on is apparently a $300-400 job to replicate...for one wheel!!! It's similar to the anthracite gunmetal finish of the BMW "M" wheels. I guess the metallic silver paint is what jacks the cost up. I know this because I've already priced having to get a new wheel and match the finish.

Wish me luck (or whoever the tech is at the discount tire I go to :beerchug: )
Adam Gill #115
Past Chief Driving Instructor
PCA National DE Instructor
'98 Boxster - "CUPCAKE" - CC3 before spinning rod, CC? coming soon
'97 993 Arena Red C"2"S - "Ruby"
'65 912 Gulf Blue - "Blue Bird" (sold)
AGill
Time Trialer

Postby ChuckS on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:16 am

You are probably right regarding the sand. I had a set of these at one time and with one of them, you could hear what sounded like a few grains of sand moving around as you rolled the wheel.
From your earlier statement, I thought it might have been a factory defect.

Best of luck as it sounds like it will take a really knowledgeable tech to get it right!
Chuck Sharp
1988 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa C.E.
1988 944 Turbo S
1986 944 Spec
and Several X Cars
ChuckS
Time Trialer

Return to Technical