VIABLE ALTERNATIVE TO EPOXY GARAGE FLOORING

Porsche Technical related discussions.

VIABLE ALTERNATIVE TO EPOXY GARAGE FLOORING

Postby rfatuzzo1322 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:55 pm

About a month ago, I read with interest 325racer's very explicit technical dialogue on how to prepare and finalize an epoxy garage floor, but I felt that there is a very viable alternative that worked well for me, and which warranted a separate tech. post. So, here goes. Shortly, after my house was built about 12 years ago, I put down a concrete stain- 2 coats. While it looked good for a couple of years, I was faced with restaining about every 3 years. Recently, I also had considered doing epoxy flooring like everybody else, but dreeded all the work from taking up the old stain, etc, etc.

So I stumpled across a much more viable alternative- Flexi-Tiles made by Reflex Mouldings LTD. (Nothern Ireland). These approx. 20"x20" interlocking squares are a PVC type rubberized material about 4.5mm thick (unlike the snap-on types sold by other manufacturers, which I do not recommend), and can easily be laid over any existing concrete floor surface with absolutely no additional preparation necessary. The only thing you need is a small rubber mallet to tap them in place and a sharp exacta type knife and straight edge to cut around corners.

They are sold at Lowe's for approx. $13- per sq., but at Dixieline for about $10- and I actually was able to get them for $8- when Dixieline ran a 2 month sale of this product in August. To cover a regular sized 2 car garage it takes about 137 to 144 squares.

These Flexi-Tiles easily stay in place, I have my two Porsches on them with absolutely no movement. They are very easy to clean with a wet mop and if desired you can put on a vinyl polish.

The best part was again I did not have to take up the old stain and it took me only one full day to do, less if you do not have to place to many cabinets on-top or cut too much around edges. I can even use a creeper without any difficulty. In addition, the garage feels like its about 5-8 degrees warmer during colder weather, but did not feel hotter during the hot days of September. :D Rich Fatuzzo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RICH FATUZZO
2008 CAYENNE S
2008 BOXSTER RS60 SPYDER (LE)
rfatuzzo1322

Re: VIABLE ALTERNATIVE TO EPOXY GARAGE FLOORING

Postby mrondeau on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:02 pm

Rich, That's a great alternative. I have installed carpet tiles, vinyl snap in tiles (commercial grade), epoxy, vinyl composition tile, concrete stain, cement microtoppings and other flooring products with a varying degree of success. The advantage to the vinyl tiles that you suggest (by a variety of different manufacturers) is that they typically require no adhesive, are not susceptible to elevated moisture or ph levels and can be installed by the do-it-yourselfer.

Most of the people in my industry have some sort of vinyl tile or carpet tile in their garages. Carpet tile comes in 2' x 2' squares and instead of adhesive, we install it with double sided tape laid out in a grid. It's easy to replace if damaged, insulates sound and temperature well and we usually can get it for a song from overstock from one of our jobs.

All of these can work for you depending on how you use your garage. If you do desire an epoxy or stained concrete floor, make sure that you do all of the prep work required properly and that you maintain and protect the floor to maximize it's life.
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Re: VIABLE ALTERNATIVE TO EPOXY GARAGE FLOORING

Postby rfatuzzo1322 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:59 pm

Hi Mark- Thanks for the positive response!!! If anybody else has any questions or comments on the Product that I used, let me know, I will be more than happy to reply. Rich Fatuzzo :roflmao:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RICH FATUZZO
2008 CAYENNE S
2008 BOXSTER RS60 SPYDER (LE)
rfatuzzo1322

Return to Technical