Timing belt change on a 944s...

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Timing belt change on a 944s...

Postby my87944s on Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:17 pm

Anyone have any idea why the cost of changing the timing belt on a 944s is over $600? I have read the shop manual, and looked up the cost of the belt...
I also realize how important it is to get this right, but is it really that difficult???
Thank you,
Terry
my87944s

Re: Timing belt change on a 944s...

Postby ttweed on Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:52 am

my87944s wrote:Anyone have any idea why the cost of changing the timing belt on a 944s is over $600?
With labor rates running $70-85/hr. in most Porsche repair shops, it does not take long for a job to add up to $600. :evil: 4-6 hours labor plus parts and you're there.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Duram on Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:57 am

Also note that to replace the timing belt on a 944 requires a special belt tensioning tool that sells for ~$500 if you can find one. So if you attempt to do it yourself then the first time it will cost more then paying for it.
Duram

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:14 pm

Terry,
That is about right for a 944S, the belt is different and a bit more expensive than a 16V car. Your car is a 16-valve "S" correct?

Do anything wrong in this job and you will damage the engine and turn your car into a parts donor.

These are very expensive to do top end work on, and the cost would far exceed the value ofthe car.

Now if you need rollers...you do, add 300 dollars.

If you need water pump or front engine seals???

What you are paying for in not just a guy to drop some belts into your car. You are paying to have it done correctly with a warranty in writing.

I won't even go into the stories of do-it-yourself belt replacements.
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby Jad on Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:35 pm

Steve Grosekemper wrote:

Please, please, please, these should be GOOD! :twisted:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:10 am

Jad wrote:
Steve Grosekemper wrote:

Please, please, please, these should be GOOD! :twisted:

Jad;

You're either a morbid fan of horror stories :twisted: , or you want to see how many people made the same mistakes as you, in the past :shock: .

Terry: the 944S is extremely sensitive to proper timing belt issues. Pay the cash and have someone do it right. Dieter's, Black Forest, Extreme, Mirage Int'l, All German Auto ... any of these will steer you straight. For the "little" extra, do the water pump, rollers, seals ... the whole enchilada ... now.

If you try it yourself and get the thing wrong ....

.... let's see ... cam chain and chain guide screwed-up, valves bent / head ruined (and good luck finding a new head .... they don't exist! A Used one will cost more than the car is worth) .... balance shafts wrong (vibrate your molars loose) .... in other words,

you're scre#ed! :shock:

Pay now, you won't be able to pay later. :cry:

Just my thoughts.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby my87944s on Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:37 am

Well the car is at Brads Foreign... I have a friend who knows them very well and have been assured they know the 944s in and out. I have been quoted right at $600 with belt and roller replacements.
I sure tryed to convince myself to just sell this car before I get any further into it, but I cant do it...
Anyway, if all goes well it will be back in my garage tomorrow with all the repairs done.
Thanks for talking me out of attempting this myself...
my87944s

Postby my87944s on Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:10 pm

Ok, I got the car back today with a few additional items fixed... The timing belt cover needed to be replaced, the ditributor cap was replaced, and the timing belt guide was replaced.
The car runs great, dles better than ever BUT... there is a new noise... The tech who did the work claims that the belt was tensioned to factory spec and will make a buzzing or humming noise for a few days. It sounds to me like a turbo spooling and changes with rpm.
I was further told to bring it in Monday and they will retension and adjust (after I drive it this weekend)
Is this normal??? I intend to come down to the auto-x tomorrow (to watch), any input would be welcome.
Thanks,
Terry
my87944s

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:26 pm

Terry:

Your new belts will tend to make a "turbo" or spooling sound when new. And, if they used certain types of belts, they can be louder than the more expensive belts Porsche certifies for use. I use Continentals (I think) and they make that whirring/spooling sound a bit. Not to worry.

You should have the tension re-checked and adjusted after about 1000 to 2000 "new" miles ( I do mine around 1000 becasue I track the car and the temps go up a bit). The thing to remember about the belts and tension is, when the motor gets hot, it expands a bit and puts additional tension on the belts. New belts stretch during this time. When it cools down, the belts loosen. Sometimes new belts seem to sound louder when the motor is cold .... that's because the tension on the belts is ever so slightly less than when the motor is hotter, and they may have had an initial "stretch." Normal stuff.

Also, I tend to have mine checked every time I tune up the car. It's a little extra cost, for a lot of engine insurance :wink: , and peace of mind.

If you hear really loud belt noises, or click-clacking-tapping coming from your belt covers, get it all re-checked immediately. They may be way too loose, and you could seriously damage your valve-train if they jump or skip. Otherwise, some whirring/"spooling" sounds from new belts is okay.

These are my personal experiences with my car. I'm no expert, just a 944 owner. Talk to some of the local shops for additional info.

Good Luck!
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby my87944s on Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:41 pm

Dan thank you VERY much... I took the car back to Brads today and they also assured me that the belts were tensioned properly. The blets are Continentals...
I also agree that it is much louder in the am when i first start it...
I was out at the auto-x watching on Saturday, your car was out there wasnt it??? I took a bunch of pics of the 944s i saw out there.
Thanks again,
terry
my87944s

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:08 am

Terry:

You're welcome!

My car is a white 944, #1944. Yep .... the loud, blappy one (don't buy Dansk Exhausts unless you like noise!).

Glad to see you so in to the driving of Porsches. Come out and have fun!
Dan Chambers
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Return to Technical