Nose up, Nose Down oil leak mystery.

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Nose up, Nose Down oil leak mystery.

Postby Mmagus on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi folks,

After I brought the 924S home last weekend I backed him in the driveway, with the nose down at slight angle due and covered him up nicely. The next day I noticed a saucer sized oil spot under the car right below the power steering pump (right front passenger side). When I peeked under there it looked as if the oil was coming from above and dripping off the area located there. The oil filter is above it but I don’t see rivulets from it, though I haven’t yet jacked the car up. I plan on steam cleaning the bottom of the engine to get a better idea of what is going on.

EXCEPT... (here is the mysterious part)

I licensed him on Monday and took him for a spin around the neighborhood, just a few minutes. When I pulled in the driveway I parked nose up rather than backing in and got out the car wash items. I glanced and there were two pea sized oil drops. So I though, “hmmm I need to get a good look at that soon” then went about washing him and covering him up once again.

When I came out this morning I looked under and what do ya know? NO oil drops!

So all you mechanical Sherlock Holmes types, grab your pipes and figure this one out. “The Game is Afoot!”

Mark

PS...yes I know...the solution is. "Don't park nose down!" :shock:
85.1 944 Sparky
'87 924S "Tuffy" #123, CC03
'81 928 "Leviathan" Gone to the great beyond.
Mmagus
Club Racer

Re: Nose up, Nose Down oil leak mystery.

Postby MTrotter on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:44 pm

power steering lines and caps tend to "weep" or leak. check those.
Morgan Trotter
Manager-C2 Motorsports, LLC
The Racers Store
8380 Vickers Street
Suite D
San Diego, CA 92111
(858) 495-9200
www.theracersstore.com
MTrotter
Time Trialer

Postby Mmagus on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:51 pm

I shall do, and didnt think to do so before because it distinctly looked, and smelt like oil (lightbrown in color etc) Please dont feel that I am in ANY way complaining Morgan I am in absolute LOVE with this car! :beerchug:
85.1 944 Sparky
Mmagus
Club Racer

Postby Jad on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:05 am

If you take, or all the oil leaks out, the drips will stop :shock:

Kiddinging aside, with a leak that big, pay VERY close attention to oil level so you don't run it too low. It should be at or SLIGHTLY above the full mark on the dipstick. Sounds to me you need new front oil seals. When were the belts/rollers/waterpump/seals changed? It is VITAL that all that maintenance is kept completely current.

Good luck! Great cars, but they do need maintenance or they are nightmares.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Mmagus on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:44 am

The belts,rollers,waterpump,and seals changed were all done 15k miles ago and rechecked 10k miles ago, however that was also 2 years ago as well. I should have put that information in the first post, sorry. A wonderful thing about this beauty is the meticulous records that came with it. So I wouldnt think that would be the cause, then again I am a neophyte with these cars. I will be sure to keep a close eye on things. :D

It is due for a belt tension check, so as soon as the tools I ordered arrive I will get in there, and and take a peek at everything while I am at it. For now he is parked, nose up, un-leaking, bundled against the elements, as I gather info before wading in.

Cheers!
Mark 8)
85.1 944 Sparky
Mmagus
Club Racer

Postby Mmagus on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:28 am

Here is the update:

Yesterday evening Paul Y. and I did a belt tension check on Tuffy. The area is tight, but with the new tools I bought for the job easily done. While we were in there it was clear that the fluid was not comming from the engine but rather the oil sending unit /power steering pump area. When dabbing the drip off the bottome ot the PS unit it appears brownish, but I believe that is due to the general grim which it driszzled through. I think that its actually power steering fluid for a few reasons.

When I held a light behind itit had a slight red tint to it, similar to the PS fluid.

To me, it smelled like the fluid I dipped ouut of the PS unit to compare

The last time I noted a small drip under Tuffy. That spot was not there at all after a light rain, it had been washed away while other known oil spots from previous cars remained.

So Morgan, the Cupie Doll goes to you as the Big Winner!

Whatever it is Paul noted that it is VERY minor and shouldnt be an issue. Eventually I will power wash everything and find the source.

Cheers,
Mark
85.1 944 Sparky
Mmagus
Club Racer

Return to Technical