AutoX/DE Harness Tech

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Re: AutoX/DE Harness Tech

Postby Bob Gagnon on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:10 pm

Assuming the same crash dynamics as an average road crash.

The airbags only fire once, so after the first impact you are in Isaac Newton's merciless hands along with your 3 point restraint.

In a typical fast track rollover or multi-impact event, I would want arm restraints, side net, roll bar (cage), a good seat, a 6 point and a HANS :D
Bob Gagnon
Time Trialer

Re: AutoX/DE Harness Tech

Postby Ted Myrus on Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:16 pm

I know from whence I come :(

In the late sixties and early seventies I did a fair amount of wheel to wheel road racing with SCCA, EMRA, CCSCC. I ran an HP Sprite, DP Austin Healey, and a CS Gordini. One dark day at Bridgehampton, N.Y. I had a self induced mishap. At the end of the long straight there was a fast downhill right turn. I went off on the outside and flipped end over end three times. In those days we wore mostly "shorty" helmets. I was fortunate to have a full Bell helmet, but not full enclosed face, and we wore goggles! Stock seats and mandatory 3" lap belts, hoop roll bars were exceptable, however, I had a full roll bar. The hood sheared off its hold down pins and came back and struck me in the head :( The car was destroyed, the helmet was destroyed, I spent a week in the hospital and months out of work.

Fast forward to 2005 at the Palm Springs Revival. Last couple of laps in the sprint race I overtook a 911 on the inside, got out of shape, dropped a wheel of the track, and rolled several times. :surr: But this time I had an enclosed car, full cage, 5 point belts, HANS device, full face helmet with a full face shield. Car was hurt but I wasn't. :oops:

October, 2009 Willow Springs, last lap over taking a slower car who moved over on me, again I dropped a wheel off and spun 180* and rolled over. Open car, full cage, arm restraints, 5 point belts, full helmet, face shield, HANS device. Car was hurt but I wasn't. :oops:

Moral: Don't skimp on your safety. Buy the newest and best safety equipment you can and have fun :rockon:
Ted Myrus
Time Trialer

Previous

Return to Technical