BTU's in; Heat out.

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Re: BTU's in; Heat out.

Postby Dan Chambers on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:21 am

3rd_gear_ted wrote:Dan,
What does your oil pressure gauge read after the 3.6 install, any difference @ idle or other RPM's?

The oil pressure is much greater now. At idle it's a healthy 2.5 to 3 bar (before, 1 bar). At speeds above 3000 rpm it's 4.5 to 5 bar.

Is the new oil cooler going to be in series with the existing one?

Yes, it's in series. Oil goes from thermostat to fender cooler to valance cooler to tank.

What is the AN size for the lines you are going to use to the new cooler?

Same as stock SC/Carrera oil cooler. I don't know the AN size, ask Jae Lee, Mark Kinninger, or Steve Grosekemper. They'll know the actual size.

The other 3.6 install I know of has a thermostatic fan on the fender cooler, have you considered the same?

I already have a 300-cfm fan installed, and operates remotely with a dash switch, so that any possible thermo-switch failures are not an issue.
I'm just curious, I dream of doing the same 3.6 install someday too in the rosy world of the fuzzy future.

If your world is fuzzy and rosey, I'd re-check my prescriptions! :roflmao:
Thanks, Ted

Any time. 8)
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Re: BTU's in; Heat out.

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:55 am

Post script: heat issues resolved for now. :D The car ran at a solid 210-degrees F. all day. :rockon:

I attribute this to:

- New oil cooler (radiator style vs. brass-tube style) in r. front fender + cool heat-shield system designed by "Grosekemper Engineering"
- Use of high Octane fuel (100 unleaded + mix)
- Removed headlight for more air flow (usually only done at the big tracks ... now all the time.)
- Cool air temps. outside.

We'll see how she does at Fontana's DE. I suspect she'll do fine since the air movement is so much better.

Big thanks to everyone who helped me out. In particular: Jae Lee and Steve Grosekemper.

Thanks, all! 8)
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Previous

Return to Technical