Suspension setup

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Suspension setup

Postby gjb3545 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:25 pm

I have a 88 Carrera, adjustable sway bars,stock torson bars.The front tire temps(pyrometer) are 130's, the rears are in the 160's do I need to get these temps closer?
gjb3545

Re: Suspension setup

Postby ttweed on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:35 am

How are the temps across the tread width (outside, center, inside) on each tire? This might tell you more about your setup than comparing F/R averages. With a 911's rear weight bias and RWD, you are never going to get parity in temps F/R and there's no reason to try. You just can't get as much heat into the fronts unless you have massive understeer and are skidding the front end around every corner with a massive push (which is definitely not the fast way around an autox course!)

The more important question is how is your steering balance at the limit? Focus on adjusting your sway bars to get the handling the way you prefer. Tire temps may give you clues about what camber and tire pressure adjustments might be helpful to maximize grip and wear, but having a predictable handling balance that's within your comfort zone will provide the confidence to push the car to the limit consistently, which yields the best lap times in a 10/10s autox environment.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Bob Gagnon on Wed May 12, 2010 8:16 am

The temps seem awfully low, indicating the tire is not developing any slip angle or you are waiting too long to take the temp.

Most tires are around 210 degrees when working at their optimum, the best way to check at an autocross is immediately after say your 2nd or 3rd run taken by an assistant while you are in line.

The best method is using a temp probe thermometer that pokes into the rubber rather than an IR gun which tends to give lower temps and less focus on the part of the tire of interest.

If you get a set of temps across the patch you can look at your camber, etc. like Tom says above.
Bob Gagnon
Time Trialer

Postby sean_v8_914 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:01 am

if you see me hovering at the grid, I ussually have a pyro and a PSI in my pocket. flag me down and i'll take temps for you.
we monitor the 10jreen and tweek psi and shock tune based on temps and psi. I love helping people go faster!
Co-pilot of 10jreen 914 #601 AM
flesh heals...the memories last forever
sdAutosport.com
sean_v8_914

Return to Technical