No Trailer Brakes!!

Porsche Technical related discussions.

No Trailer Brakes!!

Postby Dan Chambers on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:34 pm

Actually, they are now fixed.

The scenario was this:

I bought a trailer with old tires. Everything worked fine, but after installing new tires on the trailer I had no brakes.

I checked the controller: good. I checked the plug on the truck: good. I checked the the harness and wiring in the junction box: good. I then jacked up the trailer and with a crawler followed the wiring lead all the way to the axle with the brake system. AHA! At the junction of the wiring system were cheap (no, I mean CHEAP) crimping connectors and "butt-end" connectors. One wire ... white in color, was separated at the butt-end connector.

So I pulled off the tire and got a new connector to install on the disconnected wire. To my surprise, I could not get the two wires close enough for the connector to work. After futzing with it for about 5 minutes I came to the conclusion that I'd need to use a splice of about 2.5" to 3" to complete the connection ... which I did. After the wires were re-connected ... brakes. I lowered the trailer and noted an obvious "loop" in the wire that wasn't present before.

Conclusion: while assembling the trailer, the assembler did not account for the total travel of the suspension. The wires were too short for the trailer's suspension travel, causing the wires to separate when jacked up to replace the tires.

If you use a trailer, I'd suggest you check the length of the wires coming out of the axle where the brake assembly lives and be sure there is sufficient slack in the wires to account for full suspension travel. If not, you could wind up in trouble the first time you have trailer "hop" when empty or when changing a flat.

Hope this helps you guys/gals who trailer your cars/RV's.

Cheers! 8)
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Re: No Trailer Brakes!!

Postby 993Panzer on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:49 pm

Brakes are an accessory!!!! Oh wait, that's for race cars not trailers. :burnout:
Dave Gardner

1996 993 (cc5 #329)
993Panzer
Club Racer

Re: No Trailer Brakes!!

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:11 am

Good Post Dan, especiallly with a TT coming up on us fast.

The trailer Greg and I tow is a used trailer that someone had been using reliably for years so everything should be good right?

Not exactly...
Anyone who has worked on a trailer or RV knows the level of workmanship is really sub-par.
Cheap wiring and connectors, and poor installation.
So I went through the electrical and converted to rear LED's (Others to follow)

But the thing I found interesting? the back up battery for the brakes...never hooked up from the factory.
We just put tires on as they were well on the worn side and didn't want to have an issue in the Nevada desert on Sunday evening.
In doing so I noticed the "never on the road" spare had a sidewall crack and was not the correct load rating for the trailer.
But the brake power wire was nice and long!

So don't forget to check, lights, brakes, and tire condition and rating (even the spare).
The load rating on the tire in pounds multiplied by the number of tires should be greater than the gross rating trailer.

Happy (and safe) trailering and see you at Spring Mountain.
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Return to Technical