mechanical traction control and smog tests?

Porsche Technical related discussions.

mechanical traction control and smog tests?

Postby lrayner on Wed May 26, 2010 1:19 pm

My smog guy said he was told by a Porsche service tech that certain Porsches have mechanical traction control that cann't be turned off and these cars shouldn't be put on the rollers for smog testing. However his book only identifies electronic traction control which can be turned off, and all wheel drive versions which cannot be tested. Is he talking about limited slip? What models besides the all wheel drives should not be tested on the rollers?
Leigh Rayner
2002 Boxster S
1995 993
lrayner
Time Trialer

Re: mechanical traction control and smog tests?

Postby stevemckay on Wed May 26, 2010 6:59 pm

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH MY 951 IS TESTED ON ROLLERS AND IT HAS LIMITED SLIP.I KNOW IT'S AN OLDER MODEL AND MY NOT APPLY :beerchug: CHEERS MATE :rockon:
Steve McKay, CEO SHOESTRING RACING
2010, 2011,2012, A/X CORNER CHAIR,
stevemckay
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Fri May 28, 2010 8:04 am

lrayner wrote: What models besides the all wheel drives should not be tested on the rollers?

I'm thinkin' the 964-based Carrera4, the 993 C4's, the 996 C4's, the AWD 911 Turbo's, etc.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Jad on Fri May 28, 2010 9:07 am

On my 964 C4, they wouldn't give me the cert without putting it on the roller, so I just pulled the relay and made it a C2 (don't try this on the other version!!!) and it passed easily.

I can't image how a mechanical limited slip would care about being on a roller in a 2wd car. Both rear wheels better be going the same speed?

One warning, often the ABS does not like it and the light will come on for a couple of miles warning you it didn't like the signal it was getting of the rear wheels turning and not the front. A little normal driving and it is happy again.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Return to Technical