convertible top cleaner?

Porsche Technical related discussions.

convertible top cleaner?

Postby Jad on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:25 pm

What do people use to keep their tops nice? With my Boxster many years ago, I used the Porsche stuff, but it seemed to seal, more than clean or make it pretty.

I don't plan on driving in the rain, so mostly I just want to protect and make the black top look good. Suggestions?
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Re: convertible top cleaner?

Postby ronaldtrotter on Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:15 pm

There is a product you can get at West Marine called Aerospace Protecterant 303. They also make a cleaner. I have used it on boat tops my targa, my jeep and my oldest uses it on his rag top MR2 Spyder. It is the best I have seen for this type of use. Made by 303 products (303products.com) Good stuff.
'82" 911 SC Targa
'86' Buick Grand National
'85' 944 Spec
2015 VW Sport Wagon TDI
ronaldtrotter
Time Trialer

Postby rshon on Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:59 pm

Brush away dry bird droppings and any dust from wax smears with a clean dry toothbrush. Wash the top with a real mild car washing soap (like Meguiar's Gold Class or equivalent) using a Microfiber-covered sponge, rinse using a slow stream of water (the same way you'd wash the car, working to just rinse the soap away), and let air dry. Anything you use to wash or dry the top that has bits or threads or hairs will instantly stick to the top, making it look "fuzzy". You can remove fuzzies with 3M Lint Remover (it's in a cylindrical roll of tacky paper with a plastic handle, sold for clothes and upholstery). You can peel one piece off the roll to get in the corners to remove the last of the lint.

If you can get the material clean, it will look good. Most of the treatments sold for convertible tops just makes it look worse...
Russell
PCA Zone 8 Rules Tech Advisor
Z8 TT/DE Chair ('20-'22)
Z8 Rules Chair ('12-'18)

Porsche Boxster S
Scion FR-S
Lotus Exige S
Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road
rshon
Time Trialer

Postby BUCK BITTING on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Ragtop makes a good cleaner and protectant. The proctectant not only seals but protects the cotton threads from UV damage.
BUCK BITTING

Postby Jad on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks for the tips. I will give them a try. I do use the lint roller, which works great for getting the dust and lint off.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Return to Technical