356 expert needed

Porsche Technical related discussions.

356 expert needed

Postby MikeD on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:22 am

I'm looking at a '57 356. It's a decent car with no noticable rust or body damage. It's not a concours car, but would make a good driver. It has a sunroof off a '57 but was not original to the car. The numbers match (or so I am told and I'm not sure how to verify that). Also, the interior and exterior colors are NOT what came with the car.

I would be curious to know if it's worth the asking price of $25K. And what kind of problems am I going to have maintaining it? I know there are going to be mechanical issues. But what I don't know is how hard is it going to be to find the parts when those mechanical issues arise.

Thanks for your help,

P.S. I know the 356 Registry could answer these questions, but as the seller is a member I would rather get some local advice here before venturing further.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Duram on Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:05 pm

I am not an expert but I can anwser some of your questions. I restored a 54 pre-a cab about 15 years ago.

A 1957 356 would be a 356A. So this varries a little from what I am familiar with.
To check if the numbers match look at the build plaque attached to the pass side next to the gas tank. This will have a 5 digit number as the serial number of the car, and what type of engine was to be installed. The chassis number is stamped on the body of the car forward of the fuel tank under the rubber mat. The chassis number is also stamped on the hood, decklid, and doors. But usually just the last 2 digits, for example my car was 60659 and had stamped 59 on all the other parts. See http://www.356a.com/ for more vin data.

To check for rust you will have to be very carefull since these cars really get very rusty, even here in california. Check from the bottom the battery box, and logtutionals with a stong magnet to make sure they are all metal under the undercoat.

25K seams high for the car, but I have not kept up with values. Just remember that there are many more coupes available then open cars, and orginal Super cars and carreras are more valuble.

All in all they are a very simple car to maintain. Parts are rare but not imposible to come by. Some things can get to be expensive.

If you are really interested in a 356 my advice would be to buy the nicest one that you can afford, and make sure you get the model that you really like, ie.. Speedster, Coupe Cabrio, Pre-A, A, B, C

There are some really good books on the subject, if you would like I have a good one I could lend you but it is in German.
Duram

Postby MikeD on Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:44 pm

Thanks for your response Duram. Do you still have your 356?

Duram wrote:If you are really interested in a 356 my advice would be to buy the nicest one that you can afford, and make sure you get the model that you really like, ie.. Speedster, Coupe Cabrio, Pre-A, A, B, C

Yeah. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at this car. I really like the A's and Pre-A's. But there are far more C's around for a good price. Not so many A's or Pre-A's that are in the condition I want. They are either one step away from the grave or waiting for the next concours. Not a lot of drivers out there. At least I haven't been able to find them...
Mike Dougherty
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Duram on Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:18 pm

No I sold it years ago.

I know where a 55 pre-a continental coupe is stored, the guy that owns it keeps it in a semi trailer, untouched for the last 30 years, I have never ben able to persuade him to sell me the car.

Have you ever gone to the Porsche swap meet in Pomona? There are usually some nice cars thier.
Duram

Postby Ted Myrus on Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:07 pm

This isn't a difficult. 4 cam cars are the most valuable, open cars are worth more then closed, sunroofs are more valuable then coupes. There is an old used car adage that states if its red and the top gones down its worth money.

What to look out for........RUST. Very expensive to repair correctly, although all the sheet metal pieces are available.

Decide what model you want and what you're going to do with it.

Are you going to speculate on its appreciation, be a collector, show the car in concours? Then buy the best car you can afford with a verifiable history. (its cheaper to buy a fully restored car then to restore one)

Is it going to be a driver? Then who cares if the numbers match. Whats important is its mechanical and cosmetic condition.

I bought a '64 356C coupe. I'm the second owner, it has decent seam gaps, matching numbers, and a certificate of authenticity, and manageable rust. I drove it for a couple of years and then decided to race it. Its now a dedicated track car (in its 4th year in HSR West). However, I've retained all the pieces and will probably, one day, restore it to a least a nice daily driver.

Good luck and glad you're thinking of joining us. Keep the 356 faith!
Ted Myrus
Time Trialer

Postby Duram on Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:39 pm

Duram

Postby MikeD on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:51 pm

Thanks for the info Ted. I am considering this a as a driver. Maybe not daily, but certainly more that a weekender (Boxster's the racer, and I don't have the patience to concour anything). I've recently been advised that I should stick with and A. Which is '55 to '59, correct?
Mike Dougherty
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby MikeD on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:53 pm

Very nice Duram. A little sporty for me though. You know, being how conservative I am with my cars and all? ;)

But seriously if you come across a 356A in reasonable shape and priced accordingly please let me know.
Mike Dougherty
MikeD
Club Racer

Return to Technical