Mercedes 320 SLK Radiator Fan Fuse question **UPDATE**

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Mercedes 320 SLK Radiator Fan Fuse question **UPDATE**

Postby Mmagus on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi all,

I know this isnt Porsche, but at least it as built in the Karmann factory. 8)

My wife's car, ISN'T in fact a Merc 320, but rather the thinly disguized one, a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire. For those who may be unaware they took the Merc SLK 320 and dropped a new body shell on it, left off the hood emblem and steering wheel then shipped the cars to the US for "final assembly" thus causing them to be an "Americian car.

Annnnyway, the other night though the temp gauge didn't go above half, she felt the car "smelled hot" when she got home. Due to our having owed various cheap beater cars for most of our marriage this is a smell she is well aquainted with and I trust her on it. I checked out all the fluids the net day and all is well, then ran it for 20 min in that garage at idle, I thought I heard the radiator fan come on, but when I shut the car off, it didn't. The next day Kari drove it to work and all was well, but when she parked the electric fans once again didn't kick on.

Today I checked it again and the fan DOES come on when the A/C is running. I am hoping it is a fuse somewhere but the owners manual lists all the fuse items and the radiator temp fan isn't among them. Anyone have an idea where it might be so I can check it?

Thanks,
Makr and Kari
Last edited by Mmagus on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85.1 944 Sparky
'87 924S "Tuffy" #123, CC03
'81 928 "Leviathan" Gone to the great beyond.
Mmagus
Club Racer

Re: Mercedes 320 SLK Radiator Fan Fuse question

Postby BUCK BITTING on Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:19 pm

You will need to check the coolant sensor first, it will not be a fuse, or relay if the fan works with the AC. You can unplug the sensor (it is either in the radiator or up by the thermostat) and seeif the fan comes on, or if it does not, take a paper clip and jump between the two wires in the connector. This will help until you get a new sensor.
BUCK BITTING

Postby Mmagus on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:36 pm

That did it!

I located the sensor, which is between the top left pully and the water inlet (where the thermostat is inside?). Since I didnt know what to look for I looked the part up on supply sites. After unplugging it I started the engine and the fan came on full blast instantly. Kari needs to use the car for work tomarrow but the fan running too much is better than not at all. I will order a part tomarrow. Any tips on replacing it would be welcome!

Thanks again Buck!!!

:beerchug:

Mark
85.1 944 Sparky
Mmagus
Club Racer

Postby BUCK BITTING on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:30 pm

No big deal replacing, do not use teflon tape since the sensor uses the thread to engine as a ground. Leave the radiator cap on, this will slow the amount of coolant flow when you remove the old sensor, and replace the sensor with the correct size socket, not over tightening. You do not want to snap it off. Do this with a cold engine. You should be good to go.
BUCK BITTING

Postby Mmagus on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:51 pm

I have not picked up the new part but got a good price from Pep Boys (of all places) $15. What I wondered about the install is that the current one has a 90% plastic wire connection "thingy" on the end. Will this be an issue getting a socket on it or wrench behind it?

It may make more sense when I have the new part and am actuallly under the hood. Thanks for the tip on the teflon tape!
85.1 944 Sparky
Mmagus
Club Racer

Re: Mercedes 320 SLK Radiator Fan Fuse question **UPDATE**

Postby Mmagus on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Ok,

The part that I unplugged the wire from that caused the fan to come on is ACTUALLY the Temp Guage Sensor. However since the fan does come on with it unplugges and its VERY easy to locate, I am replacing that first. The part comes in tomarrow and the dealer was the only one who could get it. $28

M
85.1 944 Sparky
Mmagus
Club Racer

Return to Technical