Brake Hoses, Stainless Steel or not?

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Re: Brake Hoses, Stainless Steel or not?

Postby ttweed on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:36 am

Dan Chambers wrote:And as a surfer and waterman, I can definitely attest to storm drains leading directly to the ocean.

Yes, and when a sewer system break or blockage occurs, the overflow goes straight into the storm drainage system, which is why we need a comprehensive low-flow storm drain diversion system at our beaches as well. http://www.sandiego.gov/thinkblue/about/index.shtml

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Dan Chambers on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:53 am

ttweed wrote:
Dan Chambers wrote:And as a surfer and waterman, I can definitely attest to storm drains leading directly to the ocean.

Yes, and when a sewer system break or blockage occurs, the overflow goes straight into the storm drainage system, which is why we need a comprehensive low-flow storm drain diversion system at our beaches as well. http://www.sandiego.gov/thinkblue/about/index.shtml

TT

I could not agree more, Tom. For over 2 decades I have talked with people involved in water treatment about San Diego's plight. We need to convince those responsible for clean water to stop paying the annual Federal fines and start building adaquate treatment systems for both sewer and storm drain systems. This city is well below the curve when it comes to sewege tratment. It's appalling!
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:20 pm

This city is well below the curve when it comes to sewege tratment. It's appalling!

I guess this explains the following article: :(

10 U.S. cities with the worst drinking water

9. San Diego (San Diego Water Department)
Located on the Pacific in Southern California, San Diego is the country's eighth-largest city. According to California's Department of Public Health, San Diego's drinking water system contained eight chemicals exceeding health guidelines as well as two chemicals that exceeded the EPA's legal limit. In total, 20 contaminants have been found. One of those in excess of the EPA limit was trihalomethanes. The other was manganese, a natural element that's a byproduct of industrial manufacturing and can be poisonous to humans.

Full story:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41354370/ns ... nd_energy/
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby gulf911 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:06 pm

Somebody call Brockovich!! :D Remind me not to drink the water... :surr:
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby galis on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:01 pm

JERRY B wrote:NEVER try to re use brake fluid, Your life depends on your brakes.
You should be able to do the flush with one can.
How are things up north?

Yeah, I guess sometimes I put reason a bit ahead of common sense! No-recycle!

I'm living in Mountain View now. I was closer to Lake Berryessa, Napa and Sonoma, which all offer tons to great winding roads. Now I'm right in between Santa Cruz and San Francisco. So with all the nearby mountain roads, come redwood groves and similar scenery. I'm a :30 drive to Alice's Restaurant, if that means anything. We do have to be more careful of fog and wet roads than in San Diego but as they say, life starts when traction ends!

The PCA clubs here aren't like SDR. First there are too many of them and they seem kinda like factions; political and a bit contentious. Nobody has the easy access full of camber AX like SDR either....

-George
George Georgalis
george@galis.org
84 944
galis
Autocrosser

Postby galis on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Don Middleton wrote:
galis wrote:Can I reuse fluid? I don't mean the stuff in the lines but new fluid spent in the course of bleeding? I was thinking purging existing fluid, then capturing new fluid lost durring bleeding and putting it through a coffee filter or something to save for later?

Like I said, I'm not trying to save the cost of a quart or two, I'm more interested i eliminating unnecessary waste. Any suggestions for filtering and reusing new fluid?

George, as you probably know, the enemy of brake fluid is humidity and moisture. The filtering process in the open air would add even more moisture to the fluid. Using fresh brake fluid that has been sitting in an open container is a no-no for that same reason. Putting your used brake fluid throug a filtering process would not be as important as putting it through some type of "drying" process, if that is even possible.

If you want to reuse your brake fluid, save it for some sort of paint removal job. I hear it works well :wink:

Great observation Don!

-George
George Georgalis
george@galis.org
84 944
galis
Autocrosser

Postby galis on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 pm

martinreinhardt wrote:
This city is well below the curve when it comes to sewege tratment. It's appalling!

I guess this explains the following article: :(

10 U.S. cities with the worst drinking water

9. San Diego (San Diego Water Department)
Located on the Pacific in Southern California, San Diego is the country's eighth-largest city. According to California's Department of Public Health, San Diego's drinking water system contained eight chemicals exceeding health guidelines as well as two chemicals that exceeded the EPA's legal limit. In total, 20 contaminants have been found. One of those in excess of the EPA limit was trihalomethanes. The other was manganese, a natural element that's a byproduct of industrial manufacturing and can be poisonous to humans.

Full story:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41354370/ns ... nd_energy/

Ouch, that's bad. The tap water around here is noticeably softer but I still go through the trouble of refilling bottles for drinking and cooking....

Regards,
-George
George Georgalis
george@galis.org
84 944
galis
Autocrosser

Postby lrayner on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:57 am

I hesitate to question an authority in the field but in California at least, I don't think you can put antifreeze in the sewer system. See my new thread on this topic as it is kind of buried here.
Leigh Rayner
2002 Boxster S
1995 993
lrayner
Time Trialer

Previous

Return to Technical