Opinion needed on 944 for sale

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Opinion needed on 944 for sale

Postby larez2 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:45 am

I'm considering buying this car. My goal is to use it for track days and also for driving/racing school to get my racing license and possible running it in some wheel to wheel 944 races. I've been through a few 944's and raced a few times already, but no spec ones yet, so any advice would be appreciated. I am a bit confused about the 944-spec vs spec-944 series? Like for example it sounds like on one race series you can use the fuchs, modified intake and some other extra stuff but in the other series, no fuchs and somewhat more stringent rules.

The engine was recently rebuilt - the guys told me only 200 miles on the rebuild and no leaks or problems. The car was involved in an on track incident a few year back but was fixed.

Here are the specs on the car that i'm looking at:
*1983 Porsche 944 Race Car for sale with rebuilt and tuned 1985 engine
*2 sets of Fuchs wheels. 1st set with Toyo R1 DOT R-compound tires.
*Kirkey Race Seat.
*AutoPower Roll Cage.
*Adjustable Camber Plates.
*Hypercoil 450 pound springs
*Koni Sport Adjustable Shocks/Struts

Engine:
1985 2.5L 4 Cylinder Engine Rebuilt by Don’s Autowerks
Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust System with Catalytic Bypass Pipe
Magnaflow Muffler
Custom Aluminum Airfilter Housing with K&N Cone Style Thru Flow Filter
Cold Air Induction System 4"

Suspension:
Lowered to Minimum Ride Height with 3" Ground Clearance at Lowest Point
Koni Sport Adjustable Shocks/Struts
450 Pound 2 1/2" Hypercoil Springs
31mm Hollow Torsion Bars Rear
Racers Edge Billet Aluminum Adjustable Monoball Camber Plates
Racers Edge Upper Spring Seats (Hats)
Aluminum Front Strut Tower Brace
Aluminum Front Control Arms with New Ball Joints
Weitmeister Front Control Arm Bushings
30mm Hollow Front Sway Bar
Racers Edge Delrin Front Sway Bar Bushings
Sway Bar Brace
19mm Rear Adjustable Sway Bar
Racers Edge Billet Aluminum Rear Sway Bar Carrier with Delrin Bushings
Adjustable Heim End Rear Sway Bar Drop Links
Weitmeister Spring Plate Bushings
Adjustable Spring Plates
Weitmeister Torsion Tube Carrier Bushings
Weitmeister Torsion Tube Frame Mount Bushing
996 Targa
944 spec
944 Lemons/Chumpcar "General Lars"
Prius (carbon off-setter) =]
986 Sold, but not forgotten
larez2

Re: Opinion needed on 944 for sale

Postby ChuckS on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:38 pm

First, the car you describe is an "interesting" combination of parts. It does not sound like a setup that would be a neutral handling car. The suspension has been modified quite a bit, including changing the front to late model aluminum.
I would STRONGLY suggest having a pre-purchase inspection by someone VERY familiar with the 944 and racing 944's unless it is incredibly cheap. As I believe you know, there are a few things that can get expensive if not done properly or recently. I don't recognize the engine builder but other may. I would be happy to discuss any of this on the phone or via email (I have problems with PM's not being delivered!) and can suggest a short list of people who could evaluate the car for you. If you don't have my email, try to PM me. If I don't respond, let me know in this thread.

The 944 SPEC car definition is almost identical from PCA to POC to NASA to SCCA. There are only minor variations allowed. I am confused about your two listed series. I think that there is only one.
There are other classes in each organization that a 944 can run in, but the most fun is to be in the spec class so you can run against a lot of people in mostly similar cars.
Fuchs are NOT allowed in the SPEC class, but you can sell them for a good amount of money to buy several sets of Cookies or Phone Dials.
Chuck Sharp
1988 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa C.E.
1988 944 Turbo S
1986 944 Spec
and Several X Cars
ChuckS
Time Trialer

Postby larez2 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:17 pm

someone told me this:
Spec 944 = SCCA
944 Spec = NASA

and that they have different rules. They said the fuchs and stuff like modified headers were okay in Spec 944 but not 944 Spec. Other than that, I wasn't able to find any additional information but i am thinking of running it in the SoCal or Arizona Region with NASA so I guess need to get it comply with the 944 spec rules - which this car doesn't (yet). Bummer about the fuchs - i like how they look!

Its up in the bay area, and so other than the dealership i don't know any Porsche people up that way to get a PPI. I've wrenched on my 944's quite a bit so know the basics on what to check. But yeah I have to agree it seems like an interesting combination of parts :D

The guys is asking $4500 obo for it. It seems pretty cheap to me based on some other ads i've seen.
996 Targa
944 spec
larez2

Postby Mmagus on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi,

I saw and posted on the other forum where it is for sale. If I had the money, you would NOT be looking at this car, because I would ALREADY own it. :lol: Adding up just the "go fast" parts he has on the car come to a substantial portion of the asking price. It isn't, as Chuck pointed out 944 Spec (NASA) legal. But still good as is for PCA events till you make the few changes to get it there, should you so desire.

Mark
The Faster Pastor
85.1 944 Sparky
'87 924S "Tuffy" #123, CC03
'81 928 "Leviathan" Gone to the great beyond.
Mmagus
Club Racer

Postby harnishclan on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Get a hold of Ryan at RSR Autosport. He just finished aligning my 944 which basically has the same suspension except that I also have Lindsey Racing Control arms with complete monoball front suspension and Koni Coil overs with complete monoball rear suspension. He has a lot of race experience with heavily modified 944 suspensions as he also works on a few turbos with similar setups.
Brian Harnish GP #815
Current: 08 Cayman S, 87 944 S, 87 944.
Past: 81 911SC, 83 944, 86 944, 82 924T, 97 993, 84 944, 87 944, 83 944, 04 Cayenne S, 81 924T, 01 Boxster S.
harnishclan
Time Trialer

Postby larez2 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks for the advice so far...

The car comes with a "log book", but the problem is I have no idea what a log book should be like. I googled it so I have a basic understanding, but I'm not sure if there is anything in particular I should be wary about. Anyone have any tips regarding log books?
996 Targa
944 spec
larez2

Postby lrayner on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:12 am

That car does have some expensive bits on it- the trick is getting them all to work together. PCA- SDR uses log books in its time trial series for students to document experience until they qualify as drivers. If I remember correctly, POC log books are used to document racing incidents so the best log book is devoid of entries. Also, I think POC calls it 944 spec + and they allow several modifications that bump the horsepower up a bit. Our spec series just goes with the NASA rules. Good luck
Leigh Rayner
2002 Boxster S
1995 993
lrayner
Time Trialer

Postby larez2 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:22 am

Good to know about the log book... thx.

I think i am going to get the car. Everything has checked out so far and I am going up to see it again this weekend and i think we are going to be able to work out a deal. My next question has to do with driving a spec car on the street.

I have only ever been a passenger in a 944 spec. I am thinking of driving it 500 miles (from the bay area it here). It will be on street tires and not the R-1's currently on the car. I have done the drive in a stiffly sprung Lotus Elise a few times, and was totally okay with it. I also drove a 944 with a 944 cup car supsension on the street when our trailer broke down, but that was only about 70 miles and not that bad, but i don't know how that compares to a spec.

Any advice? I was thinking i should adjust the koni's to the softest setting for the drive. I think i see some of the 944 spec guys drive their cars to qualcomm all the time... i'm just a little worried about my 500 mile distance.

I could trailer it, but the fuel costs to go up there an back are going to be really high, and I'm already making the trip at the end of the month for a Lemons race so I want to keep costs low, and that's why i'm thinking about driving it back.

Thanks,
Lawrence
996 Targa
944 spec
larez2

Postby galis on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:05 pm

When I made the drive from San Diego to Bay area, There where some unexpected (really) traffic issues in LA. So the 7th hour mark was really about the 9th hour. I took a break for about :30 in south bay, it was much cooler then it had been during the day. An hour and half to go, but not long after getting back on the freeway, the temp was hot. Turns out the original water pump lost a seam and all the coolant leaked out. :( The part and labor is expensive for an early 944.

Anyway that was my experience. Regardless, I wouldn't take a 9 hour trip across CA in a car I bought the same day. Too many things can go wrong and you could be in the middle of nowhere or traffic when something breaks or needs attention.

Look into commercial transport, borrow a trailer or rent a towing rig. That would be my recommendation.

-George
George Georgalis
george@galis.org
84 944
galis
Autocrosser

Postby ChuckS on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:29 pm

Lawrence,
Georges comment re reliability is probably the most important. You simply don't know what is wrong or could go wrong. It gets expensive to have one fixed on the road.

Regarding the "pain" factor, we drive our on the road, but it isn't pleasant. Russell Shon drove it 300 miles back from Pahrump NV when we trailered his car. It is not fun, but is doable. Soften the shocks, run the tires a little soft. and add a cushion to the bottom of the seat. That will take care of the stiffness, but you will still need to deal with noise, heat and air flow. If you break the trip up by stopping every few hours to unwind, you should survive. Our son drove his 944 almost spec car across the country multiple times, but then he is more crazy than we are.

Best of Luck with it, and welcome to the very slippery slope!! :roflmao:
Chuck Sharp
1988 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa C.E.
1988 944 Turbo S
1986 944 Spec
and Several X Cars
ChuckS
Time Trialer

Postby lrayner on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:47 pm

ear plugs.
Leigh Rayner