Tow Dolly Dilemma

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Tow Dolly Dilemma

Postby Mmagus on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:04 pm

I picked up a nice Tow Dolly and it works great. My Tow vehicle handles it well, Tuffy tracks straight and true, the wheels and car are held securely, everything is great…except… It somehow causes power steering fluid to leak…lots of it mostly on the driver’s side. I thought perhaps it was because I did my first tow with the steering wheel in lock position. I tried a tow with the key in (battery disconnected) and steering wheel unlocked so back of the car could rotate easier. Same result. Leaked fluid. Fearing a blown hose, or the like I filled it up and started it made some turns, all without a single drop of fluid falling. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mark
85.1 944 Sparky
'87 924S "Tuffy" #123, CC03
'81 928 "Leviathan" Gone to the great beyond.
Mmagus
Club Racer

Re: Tow Dolly Dilemma

Postby Mmagus on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:46 pm

A little update.

I havn't gotten any solid answers, mainly a lot of "hmmmm" and head scratching. The one comment (on Pelican Forums) that makes the best sense is that the system is becoming reverse presurized during towing. The solution I am going to try is to get a second resivoir cap and tap a hole in it then fit it with an overflow tube running to a container. Maybe this will give any fluid wanting a place to blow out a place to go.

M
85.1 944 Sparky
'87 924S "Tuffy" #123, CC03
'81 928 "Leviathan" Gone to the great beyond.
Mmagus
Club Racer

Re: Tow Dolly Dilemma

Postby larez2 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:58 am

Did you ever determine where exactly the leak is coming from? Like if you trace back from where it is dripping from the drivers side. It could be coming from an entirely different place and the drivers side drip is the low spot/exit point for the leak. I had a power steering leak and it did get all the way over to the driver side. I got everywhere actually. It turned out my resavoir was leaking at one of the places on the bottom where the hose connects.

Maybe having it tipped back ever so slightly is causing it to leak somewhere. The reverse pressure during towing doesn't make sense to me. The PS pump is not turning forward or reverse - as far as the front of the car is concerned, its as if its parked. Also, with my leak when you'd look under the car you'd think i struck oil - it got EVERYWHERE - but when you 'd look in the resavoir it was maybe only down a few ounces after lots of driving.

Good Luck,
larez2
996 Targa
944 spec
944 Lemons/Chumpcar "General Lars"
Prius (carbon off-setter) =]
986 Sold, but not forgotten
larez2

Return to Technical