964 Power Seat Recline Stuck

Porsche Technical related discussions.

964 Power Seat Recline Stuck

Postby rhoadesco on Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:03 am

I have a 90 C2 Cabriolet with power seats. All has been working until my son put his golf bag in the back seat a few weeks ago. Not sure what he did but now the passenger seat has its recline set to be at an acute angle, not even upright. The power seat controls work for all other seat movements but recline cannot be changed. For loading into the back seat I can use the button to release and fully move the seatback forward but it comes back to the same, acute place. I assume something is jammed but not sure if I should be using any force on anything or what I should be taking apart.

Anybody have an issue like this before?

-DR
Doug Rhoades
964 C2 Cab
rhoadesco

Re: 964 Power Seat Recline Stuck

Postby larez2 on Tue May 17, 2011 1:23 pm

by accute angle do you mean it is stuck in the tilted forward position, right? Sounds like the seat back never returned to its original position after being tilted forward. Its really hard to say without seeing it, but I'd try wiggling the seat back release lever up and down while wiggling the seat back and see if it releases (its that lever a little higher than half way up the seat back on the the side of the seat back). Or maybe the cable that attaches to the seat back release lever is busted. I took apart a porsche power seat a while back, not too complicated, but pretty messy and tiring on the hands due to a lot of pulling and tugging you'd need to do.

If you know a good upholstery shop it would probably be easier to just bring it to them; they might know right away what the issue is + how to fix it, since they prob deal with those sorts of issues on a daily basis.

Whatever it ends up being, be sure to post the solution here for future reference.

Good Luck,
Lawrence
996 Targa
944 spec
944 Lemons/Chumpcar "General Lars"
Prius (carbon off-setter) =]
986 Sold, but not forgotten
larez2

Re: 964 Power Seat Recline Stuck

Postby rhoadesco on Tue May 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks Lawrence. I don't have it completely figured out but I am leaning towards a bad switch. Funny thing is that it is a 4 way switch and just the one way seems shorted/broken. It will always go forward but will rarely go back. Every now and then when I start it up it will work for a few minutes and I can move the seat recline back. Then unless a passenger moves it I am ok -- haha.

I plan on replacing it and if that fixes it I will update the post.

Thanks,
-DR
Doug Rhoades
964 C2 Cab
rhoadesco

Return to Technical