Please help - need 1 wheel

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Please help - need 1 wheel

Postby Dan Chambers on Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:08 am

Hi all:

I need your help finding a replacement wheel for the one I bent at SOW. I'd like to keep the same set-up as I just bought. So, I'm looking for 1 wheel, maybe 2 (in case I return to SOW. :shock: )

I'm looking for a 17" X 7" wheel with 55-offset, off an RS America / C2 / 944S2 from around 1991 thru 1993. These are known as Mille Miglia Cup 1 wheels by some. I believe they are cast alloy. Now, I don't mean to be picky, but the other three are Porsche OEM wheels, so I'd like to find a 4th that is the same. (After-market wheels can be a little heavier, and that may not be good for the set-up, obviously). It (they) don't have to be pretty because I'm going to have it (them) powder-coated to match the other 3 I have. They do have to be straight.

So, anybody got a couple of wheels for sale that came off an RS America / C2 / S2? David M., Martin R., ? Anyone?

Please let me know. You can contact me at DWChambers@hotmail.com

Thanks everyone.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Chris Moon on Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:36 am

You'll pay a fortune, but if you can't find one anywhere else Wheel Enhancement in LA has just about every Porsche OEM wheel you could imagine. => http://www.wheelenhancement.com/

Otherwise, if you're not in a hurry you can sometimes find them at the Recycler. => http://www.recycler.com/asp/Class.asp?iC=160

Or, Rennlist classifieds => http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/featur ... y=category

Or, even our own classifieds. OK, it's a full set, but $650 is pretty good for four wheels with tires that have anything left on them. =>
"993 Wheels (2) 7x17 (2) 9x17. Both 55mm offset. Mounted with Bridgestone Potenza S-03, 205/50ZR17 & 255/40ZR17 50% tread left. $650 Glenn (760) 789-5344"

Happy hunting,
CM
:beerchug:
'88 951 More Boost!
Chris Moon

Postby Pete Millikin on Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:50 am

Dan- I'm pretty sure a mildly bent wheel can be straightened, even if it is cast. I'd check with the local repair shops to see who they use. US Wheel Polishing in El Cajon was doing work like that a few years ago.

Try posting a WTB ad on Pelican and Rennlist BBS if it turns out you need a new wheel.
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby glenn_993 on Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:02 am

Dan,

Check the classified ads. I have two 7x17 55mm offset OEM wheels from my 993.

Glenn
Glenn Marlin #24
96 993 C2 track
glenn_993
Autocrosser

Re: Please help - need 1 wheel

Postby kary on Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:08 am

Dan Chambers wrote:Hi all:

I need your help finding a replacement wheel for the one I bent at SOW. I'd like to keep the same set-up as I just bought. So, I'm looking for 1 wheel, maybe 2 (in case I return to SOW. :shock: )

I'm looking for a 17" X 7" wheel with 55-offset, off an RS America / C2 / 944S2 from around 1991 thru 1993. These are known as Mille Miglia Cup 1 wheels by some. I believe they are cast alloy. Now, I don't mean to be picky, but the other three are Porsche OEM wheels, so I'd like to find a 4th that is the same. (After-market wheels can be a little heavier, and that may not be good for the set-up, obviously). It (they) don't have to be pretty because I'm going to have it (them) powder-coated to match the other 3 I have. They do have to be straight.

So, anybody got a couple of wheels for sale that came off an RS America / C2 / S2? David M., Martin R., ? Anyone?

Please let me know. You can contact me at DWChambers@hotmail.com

Thanks everyone.

Dan these are for sale all the time on Rennlist classified's.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:30 am

Dan,

I wish I could help, but my wheels are not OEM (very heavy), that is why I use boxster wheels for timed events.

I bought good parts from http://www.911pcar.com/, http://www.einmalig.com. eBay in the past. Rennlist has usually fantasy prices.
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:24 am

Pete Millikin wrote:Dan- I'm pretty sure a mildly bent wheel can be straightened, even if it is cast. I'd check with the local repair shops to see who they use. US Wheel Polishing in El Cajon was doing work like that a few years ago.

Pete:

Thanks. I went there and had Carlos look at the two. One was okay, and in no need of repair. The other? Well, from the outside looking in, it looked possible. Then, we put it on the balancing machine and spun it.... and had a really good laugh at my expense! :lol: :lol: It looked like someone tried to stamp a 2" deep letter "U" in to the inside-most portion of the rim. :shock: :cry: When a professional wheel fixer starts to chuckle, you know the wheel is toast, and your wallet is in trouble! "Mildly bent" wasn't the description used :roll: .

Thanks, everybody, for the responses so far. I've got a couple of promising leads, but nothing firm yet. So, keep your ears open. Looks like the Club resources are working great again. Thanks, everyone!
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Return to Technical