Does 915 shift lever self-center?

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Does 915 shift lever self-center?

Postby Dave Diamond on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:11 pm

Is the 915 transmission shifter (on my '79 SC) supposed to self-center to the 3-4 position? Mine does not do that very strongly, if at all, going from 2nd to 3rd. Maybe I have a weak or broken spring of some kind? It pops back from 5th or reverse just fine, but not the other way. Because I'm so used to the boxster shifter (which self-centers just fine), I have grazed 1st a couple of times when going from 2nd - 3rd. Fortunately I'm pretty gentle anyway, so no harm, but I really have to think about it when I shift.
Thanks
David J. Diamond #272
1979 911 SC Targa - Silver - CC02
1983 944 - Red - CC04/944 Spec
Formerly: 2002 Boxster - Black - CC04 - R.I.P, totalled March 2013
Dave Diamond
Autocrosser

Re: Does 915 shift lever self-center?

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Dave, Dave , Dave....
Self- centering 915 shifters... Don't I wish.
Shift slow with two fingers only. :wink:
No it works just like it is suppoed to.
Go here to see the way it should be...

http://www.wevo.com/Products/ShifterPro ... 915All.htm

IMHO the best aftermarket shifter for your 915...
And they look really cool too. I have installed several of them and thought they were overpriced until I used one.
Just did a 901 version a few moths ago and it was equally as sweet.
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby ttweed on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:55 pm

A cheaper alternative is the Seine Systems gateshift kit. Not as slick as the Wevo bit, and won't lock out reverse, but at 1/6 the cost, it'll keep your shifter in the 3-4 plane.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Dave Diamond on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:34 am

Steve, Steve, Steve,
Thanks, but of course I do shift very gently (actually thumb plus 2 finger-tips on upshifts), but that's what gets me into trouble with the 915 You lightly move the boxster out of 2nd, and it automatically springs to the 3-4 spot and easily slides into third. Lightly moving the 915 from 2nd leaves it ready to go into 1st! I just have to remind myself to shift more deliberately, I think. My old English sports cars (sprite, sunbeam alpine) were only 4 speeds, so no issue with them.

It's usually easier to train myself than to alter the car...I break fewer things that way...
David J. Diamond #272
Dave Diamond
Autocrosser

Postby Mike on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:43 pm

New a self center 915 shifter should of been an option.
Wevo shifter and coupler and never blame your shifter again.
Once you have it you wont want to go back. :beerchug:
Michael_Gagen :D

"Without the ability to manipulate each wheel independently, Its a fun challenge to try and be your own,
ABS, traction control and stability control"
Erik K.
Mike
Club Racer

Postby Don Middleton on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:12 pm

ttweed wrote:A cheaper alternative is the Seine Systems gateshift kit. Not as slick as the Wevo bit, and won't lock out reverse, but at 1/6 the cost, it'll keep your shifter in the 3-4 plane.

I'll second that, Tom. I have the Seine in my SC and the Wevo in my Carrera. The Seine is OK, but you do get what you pay for...
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:05 pm

The day you pay for the Wevo you will feel pain and every other day joy...
Other's will give and inverse effect.

Tom are you a seine dealer? I/6th the price?

A seine is $150. 1/4th the price of the $595 wevo.
That gives you a long throw self centering shifter.
It will not fit well under the stock rubber boot or center console (Don, do you have a stock rubber boot and center console in the SC? how's the fit?)
(The boot wants to wrap tightly around the red
bracket below V )
And in the kit the extra gate tab is attached with a hose clamp that is to be welded on like in the photo below after final adjustments.
So if you don't have a welder add that cost.
Add a factory short shift kit to get closer to the wevo and you are at $350 and then add shipping and welding and a lot of your time to install and adjust.
So I will concede to $400 or 2/3rd's the price.

The wevo drops in in minutes once the housing is out. No adjusting or filing or welding.
And it looks so cool you don't cover it up with a shift boot..

Or you can get the stealth "classic" version for stock looking street cars.

Do I have one in my SC? Nope... I used to drive early 911's and 914's so an SC is like a boxster to me. (and I'm cheap)

Now that I sound like a Wevo dealer I will say I have not been compensated for my comments by Wevo but a Wevo Classic would be a nice gift if the UPS man happened to stop by... :wink:
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby Don Middleton on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:49 pm

Well done, Steve. The Wevo is definitely the only way to go. If I hadn't already had the factory short shift kit already in the SC, I would not have tried the Seine. If had it to do all over again, I would definitely go straight to the Wevo. I've considered pulling the short shift kit from the SC, selling it, and getting the Wevo Classic. But, like you said, there's too many other ways to spend your money on these cars.
Don Middleton
'88 Carrera - show
'85 Carrera - track
'82 911SC -- hot rod
Don Middleton
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:36 am

Steve Grosekemper wrote:Tom are you a seine dealer? I/6th the price?

A seine is $150. 1/4th the price of the $595 wevo.

Ooops! I looked up the price of the Wevo Gateshift, which is $895, not their shifter kit, when I made the price comparison. :oops:

Disclaimer: I am not a Seine dealer, but I do know Sherwood Lee, and paid only $135 for the last Seine kit I purchased from him for my old '73RS-look car, with a 10% "Early S Registry" discount. :D

$595 is indeed only 1/4 the price of the Seine, and there is no doubt it is a better product. But to go "full boat" with it, you would combine it with one of their shift couplers for $195 more and then one of their shift rods for another $362 for a total cost well over $1100. There seems to be no limit on what you can spend on these cars... :? :banghead:

Another expensive solution that I am using now in my '68 911 that I think is superior for tall drivers is the Hargett shifter. It puts the shift knob much further back and higher in the car, which is a much more comfortable position for a long-legged guy sitting way back who always has to lean forward and reach down to the stock position of the shift knob, especially in 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears. I can't say that the shift action is superior with the Hargett over the Wevo (it isn't) but where it locates the knob is much better for me, and the throws are very short.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Dan Chambers on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:09 am

My 2-cents (that cost about $1,100.00)

After having Mark K. rebuild by 915 in my '83 SC, I went to an AX, took off quickly from start, ran through 1st .... then 2nd gear. At the top of 2nd, in a very mild turn, I shifted into 3rd ... so I thought. I found 1st again!!! :shock: Lucky for me I'm a little slow on the clutch release and managed to avoid the dreaded "Money-shift." I immediately ordered the WEVO shift system in black, with the tall knob for my 6'3" frame and seat set-up. Yes, I could have gotten other systems, BUT: pay $1,100.00 in parts and labor now, or upwards of $4,500.00 (if your lucky) for a re-rebuilt 915 later. :roll: Hmmm. Choices, choices.

I've had nothing but smooth shifts and peace of mind since. It works nicely with a 3.6L too. :roflmao: There are a couple of good systems out there for us "crash-box, heavy-handed" types, but there are few as safe and reliable as the WEVO. (Nope, I get no endorsement compensation either :cry: )
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Dave Diamond on Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:31 pm

Yeah, Dan, that's exactly what I was afraid of, although the grinding when I even come close to 1st gear on the 2-3 upshift makes it seem like I wouldn't actually get into first -- maybe that synchro is bad too? Anyway, I feel pretty good now in leisurely street driving, but at an AX, who knows. Maybe the WEVO is not such an expensive mod after all...
David J. Diamond #272
Dave Diamond
Autocrosser

Postby Dan Chambers on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:15 am

Dave Diamond wrote:Yeah, Dan, that's exactly what I was afraid of, although the grinding when I even come close to 1st gear on the 2-3 upshift makes it seem like I wouldn't actually get into first -- maybe that synchro is bad too? Anyway, I feel pretty good now in leisurely street driving, but at an AX, who knows. Maybe the WEVO is not such an expensive mod after all...

Update: the 915 is becoming very rare, and repairs are going skyward. I would suggest you go with the system that suits your needs ... and wallet ... best, and get it installed sooner rather than later.

My last discussion with Sean Steele at Autobaun indicates the value of a good working 915 is rocketing upward. I'm tempted to sell mine to upgrade to a G-50, if I knew the conversion was successful. So far, I haven't heard good things about stuffing a G-50 into an SC chassis with much success. So, I'll hang onto my little piece of gold for now. 8)
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Return to Technical